Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1859 Large Cent - Repunched 9 - Haxby E32a  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2017  10:11 pm Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Are those multiple die cracks on the A and of GRATIA and R of REGINA and then the N and E and E and T?

Curious as to your thoughts on this, but do die cracks add, subtract or create a null value to a coin?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1231 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the value is in the repunched 9, or for some people the repunched 859..

this repunched 9 is unique for the notch at the bottom of the loop.

this coin was published in both the 2011 Charlton and the Haxby Catalog.

in this coin the die cracks would only serve as markers for the variety...

there are other die cracks in 1859 which are collectible in their own right, most notably the die chip in last A of CANADA, or the die crack in R in REGINA of Zoell R2b...
Edited by canadian-varieties
12/05/2017 11:36 am
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin CV!

I personally like die cracks. Some people prefer early state coins. I think it's a matter of which way our collecting interests leans. Die cracks and other late state features are a big help when you're figuring out which dies produced the coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
919 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice high grade coin C V good catch a fairly hard one to find in Mint State my best is a EF I have a few but none with the die cracks going through the center of the reverse @ the N + E in one
Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CV

Very nice one indeed. Congratulations!

You must have most of the Haxby die pairs in high grade by now?

MG
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3168 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This cent has a nice rich original colour,..especially on the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1231 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  02:52 am  Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all...it's my first Haxby E32a...bought it purely on die cracks and Haxby ID...God bless the Haxby catalog

this variety is difficult...most sellers are now looking for any repunched 9 to increase resale value and I simply haven't seen this one anywhere...
A few uncleaned examples probably slip through the cracks...but this is one of the tougher 9/9s for sure.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's p 285 in the 2011 Charlton. It's not rare or scarce, but a little difficult to find. I've always liked it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3168 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have more than a few of these in varying grades..

Quote:

I personally like die cracks

Here are a few pics of mine Phil301, showing those nice d/c's..

They basically cover the whole reverse and my guess is that the reverse die was not much longer "for this earth"..

Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DEVLEC,

That is a very nice 31a2 also! I have I do believe 8 of those but none as nice as that one!

MG
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Andy888's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andy888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great coin's y'all. wow!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3168 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
DEVLEC,

That is a very nice 31a2 also ..

Thanks MG..and I also like the d/c's on this variety..

Both of the above are slabbed by NGC..so my thinking is that they somehow got their hands on the dies..

There could be more out there then..
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one DEVLEC. I love those die cracks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3168 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice one DEVLEC. I love those die cracks!

Thanks Phil310,

When it's different, we gotta love it....die cracks included..
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05