Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Reichsthaler 1780 B - fake or authentic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russian Federation
10 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  03:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pratamishus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me if this coin is authentic or some kind of copy? It's just that I've never seen 1780 B 1 Reichsthaler before:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  06:47 am  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears genuine to me. Also has the typical weakness of strike and dull gray color that is often seen on these coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10571 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the bottom edge of both obverse and reverse you can see the casting sprue on the edges. I'm sure a photo of the edge would confirm this as a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  08:30 am  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At the bottom edge of both obverse and reverse you can see the casting sprue on the edges. I'm sure a photo of the edge would confirm this as a fake.

Interesting, I thought it to be a line running along part of the edge design. Kind of like on this coin: https://www.ebth.com/items/7254484-...-thaler-coin

Zoom in on the third photo, right side of the edge.

Now I'm really curious to see the edge of the OP coin.
Valued Member
Germany
296 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potsdam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure that this coin is genuine. it is just a damaged Thaler, that shows some planchet errors (quite common for coins from that era) and what appears to be the casting sprue is indeed just part of the edge design ("Laubrand").
Always looking for old coins from Prussia / Brandenburg.

My online catalog for German coinage: http://oldgermancoins.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1581 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly appears like an authentic, damaged piece to me
Boardwalk Numismatics

http://stores.ebay.com/jdmern/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a general note, there were a decent amount of contemporary counterfeits of this era Prussian coinage.
Russian Federation
10 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pratamishus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much everyone. You helped a lot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1581 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Realeswatcher

Have you found there to many contemporary counterfeits of full Thalers? I have ended up with many fractional Thaler contemporary counterfeits from this era, but have not seen nearly as many Thalers?
Boardwalk Numismatics

http://stores.ebay.com/jdmern/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jdmern, definitely many of the fractionals out there (1/3T, 1/6T...) but have also seen some full thalers as well. Of course looking for an example to show, I can't find one of this exact Friedrich II type, but I have seen them in varying alloys. ColonialJohn has a soft spot for these continental Europe CCs... either he or obviously Bob could add more on them.

The dull grey look, crude rims, and deep scratches on this piece make me want to say this could be one. Detail is fairly accurate, though... not certain.

Here are a few from the 1790s... and update, did find one (crude, though) of this type - a 1785:

Edited by realeswatcher
12/05/2017 2:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@realeswatcher That's interesting the difference of opinion based on dull grey appearance and crude rims. With silver from Prussia (and some other states) throughout a large swathe of the 18th century, I take both of these things as a sign of a genuine circulated piece.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05