Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gordian III/Tranquillina AE26, new photos added!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5978 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What exactly have I gotten myself into here? Roman? Greek? Barbarous? Fantasy?

Seller helpfully provided no information at all in the listing other than a suggestion that this might be a Roman provincial issue and that it has a diameter of 26 mm.

From what I can see in seller pictures:

Obverse has two busts facing, two lines of text below and a legend above, which appears something like VIKMANT and then possibly the Greek letters gamma/omicron/rho/alpha...

Reverse has a robed figure standing and facing left, the left hand on a lyre which rests on an altar, the right arm outstretched; the legend looks like Greek letters ME?AMB(rho), then maybe ANIN.

Appreciate any insight, I am looking forward to seeing what exactly this coin is.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2866 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5978 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2017  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, you're entirely too good. That's the one. I used that info to search wildwinds and found it, or close to it:

Moushmov 3998 is similar but the legends are different in location and spacing.

That says it is an AE26 "5 Assaria" of Gordian III and Tranquillina from Mesembria, Thrace, with Apollo reverse.

What exactly are "assaria"? Assarion would be the singular in Greek, I presume? Related to/same as the Roman as?

I know who Gordian III was since I have an AR denarius from his reign. Apparently Tranquillina was his wife (not for long though.)

Another link I found on FORVM says that those dots were used as centering marks. I thought they might have been someone's attempt to make a hole at first!

Also, I paid a little over $20, so hopefully that's not a bum deal.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
12/05/2017 11:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5978 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2017  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
End result after I got it today!

The pictures make it look porous, but it is quite smooth in hand, with a bit of luster.

I don't know how to grade something like this but I would speculate it to be in the gF/aVF (F+ to lower VF) range

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2017  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick-up--good to get it in hand. I agree that those are centering marks.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
597 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2017  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You cant go wrong at the price you paid.
As for its grade, I personally don't buy into applying a modern system to ancients.
The Obverse has its issues but on the flip side the Reverse has good eye appeal and a full legend/ image.
Please dont take this as me being rude as I own coins in a similar condition and am happy to have them,

Overall you have a fair example of the type and the price reflected its condition/ demand.
Hopefully with time and a bit more experience you will learn to trust your own eye and forget about the " 1 eyed horse traders " that are infecting our area of collecting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5978 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2017  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent analysis! I do not have any "grades" on my ancients, but when shopping online, I see a lot of sellers describing their coins as fine, VF, etc. and sometimes there is a wide disparity between dealers for, say, what constitutes a "VF" denarius. I keep mine in envelopes, with all of the attribution and catalog information on the front, and the purchase date and price paid on the back.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05