Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dark Streaks on SIlver Coins especially Victoria Regina  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

219 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  04:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I noticed some of my silver coins have dark streaks going across them and mostly it only happens with coins that feature Victoria Regina. Is it dirt or something else ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  04:33 am  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are all those white lines, they look almost like hairs or something. The dark streaks appear to be following them. Something must be leaching from them and causing a chemical reaction.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the white streaks appear to be in the plastic that is encasing the coin. Those lines in the plastic are causing the tone. Hopefully only the toning and not corrosion.

Cats?
Valued Member
219 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin-Toning Cat, that I wanna see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(creepy cat-man)

No one needs to see that...
Valued Member
219 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah something very visually unsettling about cat-man, The Island Of Doctor Monreau gave me nightmares as a kid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  02:01 am  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin-cat-man is an accurate portrayal of me in real life :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4434 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm, shouldn't your name be Numiscat then?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Valued Member
219 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numi-Scat, collector of crap coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
855 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice word play.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1476 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check Numismat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scatman John would be proud lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be fair, Brando over the age of 60 gave EVERYONE nightmares.

The cat-man is just creepy. It/he must leave.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those hairs (?) ARE causing that toning, though. If that's from you and not just a one-off piece, you should check your others as that tone-streaking is highly distracting.

This is why I always fastidiously brush off a 2x2 before sealing a coin in (the cardboard debris is bad enough...).
Valued Member
Indonesia
104 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guybrush to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is why I always fastidiously brush off a 2x2 before sealing a coin in (the cardboard debris is bad enough...)

This may be a bit off topic from the first post, but what kind of brush do you usually use?
Look behind you! a three-headed monkey coin!

Guybrush Threecoins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05