Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017-P Lincoln Die Crack?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Crack travels through the head of Lincoln and appears to travel to the other end of the coin. There is a major hole on the Reverse above America at the Collar and Rim. It appears to be plated over. Also there are indentations at the Collar and Rim on the Obverse near the Die Crack. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "crack" looks like glue on the coin. See if you can move it with a toothpick.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tanman2001 thanks for the reply and I tried using the toothpick but it won't budge. The surface feels uneven like a crater by the S and T in Trust.
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2017  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a legitimate die crack. Rather then a toothpick, soak a Qtip in some acetone and gently (very gently and soft) wipe the crack area. See what happens.

It could be a new spiked head listing.

http://cuds-on-coins.com/Lincoln-ce...010-present/
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not try the use of the Acetone solvent but I reviewed the web you sent me about the Spike Heads. I was able to visually inspect the coin under high magnification and it was verified as a crack. Like you said it looks really close to the published Spike heads. Thanks USSID18 for the web link findings and I will have the coin checked out.
Learn More...
United States
23394 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind, this is a clad coin and if just the cladding is cracked, the result could also look like this. It wouldn't be surprising for it to be a righteous die crack, but there are plausible alternatives with the clad ZLincolns.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3500 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like something is on this coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always a red flag to me when there is a color or tone change from one side of an anomaly to the other. Could something have gotten on the coin to cause this change and follow the crack, possibly.
When liquid evaporates from a coin it can leave a raised ridge of impurities at the outer edge of where it was as well as a stain.
Give this coin a soak in acetone to see if the raised part of the "crack" desolves away. The toned color may stay
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now if you can get those carbon spots off with acetone (or anything else), you will have a winner there!
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. The only thing that will take those carbon spots off (IMO) is a bench grinder!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05