Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Using acetone question  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
133 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  07:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jmgi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So maybe acetone is not harmful to get on your skin for a short time, but wouldn't it be better to put on some type of glove so the oils from your skin don't get on the coin? What type of glove is compatible with the acetone? Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20417 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some type of chemical resistant gloves https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...045573.m1684
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6821 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but using gloves would be hard when picking up the coins .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
Indonesia
105 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guybrush to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so the oils from your skin don't get on the coin?
Maybe try to hold the coin (on the opposite edges) between thumb and index finger. Then, rotate the coin during the final rinse.
This way the oils from the finger will get washed, even where your fingers initially touch the coin (before rotating it). Umm it's kinda hard to explain

I don't know if it makes significant difference though.
"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey coin!"
-Guybrush Threecoins.
Edited by Guybrush
12/07/2017 09:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use nitrile gloves when fishing coins out of the acetone. They get pretty good traction in acetone, but any can become "slick" while they're wet. I keep a clean sorbent pad under the container in case the coin slips from my fingers, but I've yet to drop one.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
372 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only ever used acetone at work, so use nitrile gloves. I would probably use the same at home.
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just try to limit the exposure time and you should be okay. Use a good hand lotion when you are done.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plain old soap and water well rinsed before and after is all you really need if your exposure time is limited.
Learn More...
United States
23394 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Plain old soap and water well rinsed before and after is all you really need if your exposure time is limited.

This. And if you're reasonably clean, there won't be enough on your skin (which, by the way, will go directly to suspension in the acetone) to have an effect. And the process of using acetone, in all cases, is at least two steps - soak and rinse. The whole point of that is so whatever the acetone removed doesn't get redeposited on the coin, making any skin oils it picked up superfluous.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6264 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think breathing acetone fumes has to be harmful to both lungs and probably other organs in turn.
That is my main concern when I mess with it.

Signature:
Sign Here
X ____________________________
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And the process of using acetone, in all cases, is at least two steps - soak and rinse. The whole point of that is so whatever the acetone removed doesn't get redeposited on the coin, making any skin oils it picked up superfluous

Quote:
I think breathing acetone fumes has to be harmful to both lungs and probably other organs in turn. That is my main concern when I mess with it.
I (usually) only use it outside or in an open garage.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10491 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Avoid acetone - buy slabs

Brought to you by Friends of NGC
Learn More...
United States
48557 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one way to do it. Let someone else bother with the hassle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4578 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is naturally occurring in some plants as well as being a product of body fat being broken down. Our liver is capable of breaking down acetone into nutrients. Some websites will say 200ml (almost 7 ounces!) can be handled by the liver. So just don't put more than 6 ounces of it in your cup of morning coffee.

The FDA thought it safe enough, ages ago, to let it be used by little girls having fingernail painting parties. Countless youngsters have not used gloves, special breathing filters, or nuclear radiation shielding while brathing in the vapors and applying it to their fingernails/skin. As of yet there have been no serious reported consequences.

If someone deliberately concentrates on inhaling the vapors for a long time, they can get a headache and become dizzy. But for the normal person, aka little girls at slumber parties all sitting around an open bottle with vapors emanating for an hour or more, it seems fine.

Note the wording of the following link concerning acetone poisoning. Firstly, the site says acetone poisoning is a rare thing (remember the 7 ounces).
https://www.healthline.com/health/a...ne-poisoning

Yes, the link has the typical scary sounding language that will save them from liability, but note its not a carcinogen, and

Quote:
There is no “cure” for acetone poisoning. But doctors can give supportive care while your body clears the ketones from your system.

...in other words, the body gets rid of it by itself.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaunty Turtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't used acetone on any coins yet, but I plan to use a pair of bamboo tongs I have that will allow me to pick up current cents, nickels, and dimes by the edges as opposed to the obverse and reverse. Have no idea what I'm going to do with quarters and larger...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6264 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps, my emphysema, COPD, asthma, allergies to perfume and dust and whatever else I have, gets my lungs very irritated by the fumes of acetone among many other vaporous chemicals.
It may be safe, but if something takes my breath away, I am careful to have plenty of the good air around.
So I learned it is not toxic and that's good news but ... when I need to breath and something takes that away, it is a tough situation.

Signature:
Sign Here
X ____________________________
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05