Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Checks, Stocks, Bonds Etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2017  10:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious, I have seen a few posts mention an item is modern. What is the cut off date or determining factor between modern and old/classic for these type of items?

And have to say there are some attention grabbing items in this forum.

Thanks.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1734 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2017  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the question really is about checks, stocks and bonds then it's different for each country.

For the UK, I think the Bills of Exchange Act 1882 is the start of the modern era for cheques/checks, around 1695 for UK stocks, and 1694 for bonds.

For coins, I think it's 1600.

With all these things, not only is it a different answer for each country, but there will be many different opinions as to what modern means and when the modern era started.

Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2017  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi scopru, glad you are enjoying this new sub-forum! We're doing our best to keep it interesting. :-)

I don't think there's any exact cut-off between "classic" and "modern" in terms of North American stocks and bonds. I kind of draw the line around the 1960s. There is a distinct difference in format that started to creep in around then. Classic designs nearly always had a border framing the certificate. Modern certificates tended to have vertical lathework bars on one or both sides. But there are plenty of classic frames all the way into the 2000s. It just depended on the preference of the client.

Edited by GregAlex
12/16/2017 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answers. And I am enjoying the forum. I see a lot of ways to tie these items into a general collection given their history.

Thanks!
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05