Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Any True Doubled Die Canadian Coins Out There?!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  05:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been trying to find one ( preferably on post Victorian coins) for quite a while. However everytime I search sites like coinsandcanada for example everything is just Machine Doubling or die deterioration.

I've been searching lots of Penny's from about 1937-1969 and I have yet to find anything noteworthy (at least variety wise). I just want to know if its even possible that any true Canadian doubled die coins out there.

I know that there are 100s if not 1000s of american DDO and DDR variety's so I find it weird that I have yet to find, or even see a true Canadian doubled die (again, post Victorian).

If there are any that you know of could you let me know. Or if You could explain why there seems to be no Canadian doubled die coins.

Edited by Optimist-numismatist
12/17/2017 05:17 am
Valued Member
Taiwan
192 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Guybrush to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this can even be generalized further: why only American coins have highly prized doubled dies? (none for world coins) Is it because doubled dies from world coins are not catalogued at all? (no one outside USA bought thousands of rolls of their own coinage?)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2388 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about one whole side being doubled or individual sections of the side doubled? There are literally hundreds of Canadian doubled dies out there... you just have to look. A single repunched digit or letter qualifies as a doubled die. I would guess that I have at least 50 different ones, just from the Vicky cents and the Eds and Geos cents have them as well.... heavens know how many that there are from 5 cents to dollar.

Now, if what you mean by "doubled die" is hub doubling, that's a different story, but I still think that you would find at least 10-15 in all denominations and monarchs. The reason that Canada SEEMS to have fewer is that they aren't so "trumpeting" with their discoveries. I would suggest that you go fully through the CaC for each denomination/date all the way to the bottoms of the pages. You'd be surprised what you would find.
Edited by okiecoiner
12/17/2017 11:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2183 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three of my favorites are the 2013 Loonie DDR and 2013 Toonie DDO
from the 2013 Uncirculated Set. Class 4 Offset Hub Doubling in
two of the coins in the same set. Two directions of offset for
the 2013 DDO Toonie.

http://goccf.com/t/251787

Also, 1971 PL Nickel Dollar DDR.

http://goccf.com/t/198190

Also, 1946 Silver Dollar DDO.

http://goccf.com/t/227268

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
12/17/2017 10:09 am
Valued Member
Canada
334 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add errorone2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are not hundreds of DD . Most of the Canadian coins feature repunching . A couple of nice DD off hand are the 1951 dime reverse and the 1967 cent obverse .
Valued Member
Canada
422 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1952 George VI 50c had two different dies that exhibited Hub doubling on the Obverse ( DDO). Shows up as a 'Doubled HP' but there is evidence of the doubling on the edge of the King's face.
The 1951 George VI 50c has two different Obverse dies with hub doubling DDOs.... a 'doubled HP' and the other has a doubled "DEI GRATIA'.
A matter of terminology..... Hub doubling DDR and DDO are 'Double Die', and Charlton started using the term 'Doubled Die' several years ago to denote a Die with a doubled character or number. Confusing!!.

Went through my notes and there are at least 80 '''Doubled Dies" (all repunches on either of the last two date digits) for the George VI 50c series.... and the 4 DDO "Double Die" mentioned above.
Edited by pginrh
12/17/2017 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1951 50c DDO.

http://goccf.com/t/301847
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a triple, including two different letter punches?

It's an Edward, not a Vicky, so it doesn't really meet the spirit of your request.

I do take your point regarding Canadian DD's; Ottawa's quality control in that regard undeniably exceeded that of the Philadelphia's during the rest of the 20th Century.

Part of the problem is, Canadians don't seem to have the drive to publish their findings as widely as do US-centric collectors. There's an opportunity there for some enterprising individual; a good "clearinghouse" for Canadian varieties across denominations does not exist. There are individual treatments - Haxby's and Turner's sites specializing in Vicky Cents come to mind as seminal works- but there's a void to be filled.
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 nickel dollar with Doubled Die Reverse (Extra Waterlines), 1974 Double Yoke nickel dollar are well-established doubled dies - both are failrly cheap to obtain.

If you are into the small cents, then the 1967 DDO is a nice one.

errorone2012 (whom already posted in this thread) put this one on my radar screen, and I published about it in Errorscope and the CN Journal - and it is now in the Charlton catalogue. They are relatively scarce, but can be found occasionally on eBay and found in the wild.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8427 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah, and welcome back to CCF errorone2012!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
469 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/231065

This one is double died on both sides.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2017  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! I didn't think this thread would get so many responses, thank you for the helpful advice everyone!
Valued Member
Canada
334 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2017  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add errorone2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I check in from time to time :-) .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05