Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 And 1924-S Buffalo Nickels - Good Deal Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2381 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  8:25 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These two Buffalo nickels, a 1916 and 1924-S, sold on eBay tonight for $410. The bidding got too rich for my blood. I know the 1924-S is quite pricey in higher grades.

Did someone get a great buy or am I missing something with the coins? Your opinions are most welcome.

Here are the auction photos.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color of the obverse is off. MIGHT be the lighting, but looks like luster breaks.

The dark (somewhat large) spot on the feathers bothers me as well. The remaining black above the top feather, is an issue, in my opinion.

Reverse - slightly out of focus picture....interesting. Would like to see how much horn and split tail is actually there.

This was an auction that was OK to not win, unless you could view "in hand".
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joseph_curwen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coins. The 1916 looks to be a decent uncirculated, though the strike is a bit flat. The 1924-s is a high-grade coin with a full horn. In the enlarged photo of the 1924-s, there seem to be several nasty hits to the Chief's face. I am apt to wonder why such a coin isn't slabbed. I would guess because it couldn't be. I, for one, would be afraid to buy a high-grade 1924-s, without it being slabbed. As you know, this coin would be worth far, far more than it sold for in a clean PCGS or NGC holder. And the pictures are terrible. I would have passed on this one. Just my humble opinion.

-Jos. Curwen, Gent.
Edited by joseph_curwen
12/26/2017 10:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was looking for a 24S, I would have taken the chance. If the 24S graded XF 40 details, you would get your money back. Seller offers easy return, so not much risk if the coin does not look good in hand. I looked at the listing and I do get the feeling seller is hiding something. The soft focus on the reverse photo of the 24S is a bit of a concern.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gamble, and the majority of eBay gambles don't pay off.

That 24 S is still awfully tempting. Especially with return privilege.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18715 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For that price range, I'd have passed.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
79092 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Buffalo nickels are much lower grade, so I am out of my depth here. They look nice, but I am not sure if they are $410 nice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42653 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too pricey for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2028 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
24-S Looks AU with a possible lamination and/or corrosion by the feathers/edge. The reverse is stellar for a 24-S. I think the buyer will do just fine with this purchase.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05