Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opionions 1856 O Liberty Seated Half

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
357 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking at buying a mid grade liberty seated half. My budget is $100-$150 or so. I found this one and like the look. It seems to be fairly priced. What do you think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely looks original and is housed in an old slab. You have return privileges. Take a stab at it. Check auction history on PCGS's website for valuation.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5929 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda crusty but good detail
Pillar of the Community
United States
2415 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin does not work for me. The wear on the obverse makes the coin look like it has spots. There are a lot of orginal Seated half dollars that have attractive toning.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17526 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must agree. In this instance the toning hides the features of the elements rather than enhancing them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice old seated half. If you like it go for it
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you could find a better example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41498 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not in love with this one.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moxking makes a point about the toning hiding the features. I hadn't considered that. Will keep looking.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The poor picture is what's hiding the features. It's almost guanteed that'll look better in hand
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15914 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with basbal21.

With below MS grades, you always have to be careful and make some sort of judgement that an otherwise nice patina is not hiding minor wear imperfections that go with lower grades.

Purely subjective, but the patina is a little dark for my preferences, and would look a little dark alongside other whiter half dollars in a collection.

Do your price research, and don't submit a bid that is higher than what you consider to be good value for money.

I have always bought reasonably well when adding to my collection, and have let some otherwise very nice coins go by.
I only become attached to my coins after they have been added to my collection, and never disappointed in the purchasing process.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7096 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price is just average. Check out the auctions, and you will get one for less $$.
Learn More...
United States
77433 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The poor picture is what's hiding the features. It's almost guanteed that'll look better in hand
That is certainly possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41498 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt about the original surfaces for sure. Just looks kind of tired.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2019 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this one a lot. Guess beauty is in the eye...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2017  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it myself. good choice imo
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05