Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Fingerprints?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2017  10:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hate fingerprints but really like this 1801 Bust Dollar. Do you think these are fingerprints?

(Note, I angled the camera and used the lighting to enhance the toning/"print")

First the Obverse:

Then on the Reverse:

Edited by chesterb
12/30/2017 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7096 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2017  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
imo yes.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2017  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wendell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed they are finger prints
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, but very old so any damage is long ago done, may not get any worse. Adds a bit of character mystery to the coin, for the age and condition you can be assured it's in a long ago skin state. A beautiful condition for the age.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2017  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but when they have aged that much, I actually find them appealing. It gives the coin character and adds to the eye appeal.

Just imagine if we had finger print records from back then. If it came back as John Adams, you would have a multi-million dollar coin. Only the super affluent and bankers held these.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what is said above. I think they add to this coin's appeal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  03:13 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely see prints on the reverse, but I agree that they are in their terminal state and should not get any worse. It would be nice to think that they are 19th-century prints.

On that coin, it wouldn't worry me.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18570 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However you might want to try Acetone dip. If those are recent, the Acetone may get rid of them and not hurt the coin at all. Nothing to loose. Only if those are from 1801, you may well have something to brag about.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3304 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt those are ridges from a fingerprint.

Great catch!!

I am with Crazyb0 on this - definitely adds a little bit more history to the coin. Those finger prints occurred when this coin was AU or better condition.

Thank you for sharing!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However you might want to try Acetone dip. If those are recent, the Acetone may get rid of them and not hurt the coin at all.

I've been studying the coin and the so-called prints are part of the toning now...not secondary to it so I don't think a dip would help it. Plus I'd have to remove it from the PCGS holder.

I have the coin on approval so I was deciding whether to move forward with it or not and honestly these prints are the only thing I see wrong with it. It would be nice to add one of these Bust Dollars to my collection and I'm just deciding if the prints are enough to justify sending it back and waiting.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17481 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice to see full obverse and reverse photos.

Those fingerprints wouldn't bother me a bit. A lot better than scratches.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2415 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingerprints on circulated classic coins are part of the history. If the fingerprints were on a uncirculated coin, then they are an issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took new full images and posted them in the grading section for thoughts but, get this...the image revealed what appears to be a clear fingerprint in the hair of Liberty. I've studied this coin in all sorts of light and can't see that print at all! It looks just like a few toning spots so it never bothered me. These images pick it up. I can see the others but they don't appear in these images as much.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41451 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave well enough alone. This is a very attractive coin as it is.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just took new full images and posted them in the grading section for thoughts but, get this...the image revealed what appears to be a clear fingerprint in the hair of Liberty. I've studied this coin in all sorts of light and can't see that print at all! It looks just like a few toning spots so it never bothered me. These images pick it up. I can see the others but they don't appear in these images as much.
Seems like your camera has better eyesight than you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05