Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a lovely aEF 1914 Birmingham Florin?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
166 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is an item currently for sale online.

I would appreciate opinions on it's appearance and authenticity. I am curious what the coin community think of this item as it's price is well over a thousand dollars.

The gold colored images are as provided by the seller and the other I edited to make it somewhat resemble a silver coin.

Thanks in advance.

Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert, but I truly don't like the looks of this coin. I'm sure some experts will weigh in.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overpriced for a cleaned coin IMO
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos aren't great but at a glance it doesn't look fake. It looks like it might have had a thorough clean though.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
4814 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, too much wear for it to be worth >$1000.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15470 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is absolutely a coin to run away from fast.

It's had harsh severe cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look right to me,may be genuine,but has the telltale sign of no feathers on the Emu's chest from the fake from about 5 years ago,this may be an improved version,also wonky star.

Needs one of the Dealers that post here to have a look.
Valued Member
Australia
166 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those replies.

I was at a loss with this to be honest. It looks to me like it's been scrubbed, lacquered, and god knows what else.

This is not a seller I buy from and because so many of his coins look weird, I wanted to get others opinions.

Thanks again and cheers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries,had another look this Morning,90% sure its an improved version of the fake from about 5 years ago.
Emu's leg and no feathers on the chest/breast are the markers along with malformed Star.
Edited by Basil
01/12/2018 8:33 pm
Valued Member
Australia
166 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Basil.

Thank you so much for the effort you made there, it's appreciated.

I am unaware of the history of the fake you mention but I'd certainly like to know more.

I've spoken to a few people about the above coin and unanimously, the opinion is not entirely complimentary. [they all hate it]
Valued Member
Australia
213 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a fake.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm, maybe it is fake but it doesn't look the same as that other one - much less wear.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05