Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can you please help ID seven possible South Indian copper coins?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are scans of seven small copper coins, all believed to be from South India, that I haven't been able to attribute. It's possible that coins 4 and 5 are from elsewhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Coin 1. Looks like a peacock R. on bottom of obverse, 2.90 g, 11.5x16mm

Coin 2. Possible standing deity or person? 2.62 g, 12.5 mm

Coin 3. Bull L. with crescent moon above, 2.77 g, 14 mm,

Coin 4. 6-pointed star on one side, animal on the other, both surrounded by dots, 1.02 g, 10 mm

Coin 5. Partial date AH 118(9?) = 1775?, 1.42g, 10x11 mm

Coin 6. Elephant L., 2.46 g, 12 mm

Coin 7. Worn but can see European number 2 on one side, elephant L. on other, 3.33 g, 13 mm

Edited by Seeker55
01/12/2018 6:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For coin 4, found the six-pointed star shown here http://thehobbyofkings.blogspot.com...k-coins.html
It's listed under the Nayaka of Madurai, but no further attribution.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11080 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm... these are turning out to be some tough coins to find. I am not sure how much that star matches with the fourth one tough. On the fourth coin, there is a top point, but it looks like the right side is opening up rather than coming together.

However, the third coin in that link is an exact match of Coin 2. It would be 1 kasu from Madurai, made from 1701 to 1736 (link!).

Coin 5 looks like something from Arcot, and its size would indicate a 1/4 paisa. I found a similar looking example with the date of 1191, which this is not. But then I found a better one here. Sure enough, its date is 1189, so that one is probably yours.

The closest match I could find to the third coins was something from Vijayanagara, but it does not look exact. The sixth one reminds my of Mysore and the first one of the Nagas of Narwar, but again, I cannot find a match for either. I will keep searching for matches for the remaining ones, and if I find anything, I will post again.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, Joseph7420, you are right about coins 2 and 5. I will also follow up on your ideas about the others and look for matches. In my (limited) experience small South Indian copper coins are among the most difficult to attribute, and I bow to your ability to track these down.

Many thanks for your help so far and I will certainly look forward to hearing if you manage to match any of the others.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also concur that coin 3 is Vijayanagara. Found a very similar one pictured at http://nvpcollections.blogspot.com/...a-coins.html about the 22nd coin down, about halfway down the page. It's attributed to Krishnadevaraya, AD 1509-1530, so I'm going with this.

I also saw a 5-pointed star on a Nayaka of Madurai coin at http://southindiancoins.blogspot.co...k-coins.html
The one pictured did not have dots around the star or an animal on the other side, but use of a star pattern could mean it is similar to coin 4 (and because only part of the star is shown on coin 4 I can't tell if it's five- or six-pointed). No further attribution was given in the website referenced.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11080 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also concur that coin 3 is Vijayanagara. Found a very similar one pictured at http://nvpcollections.blogspot.com/a-coins.html about the 22nd coin down, about halfway down the page. It's attributed to Krishnadevaraya, AD 1509-1530, so I'm going with this.

I agree; that one sure looks a lot closer than the one in the link I posted!

Quote:
I also saw a 5-pointed star on a Nayaka of Madurai coin at http://southindiancoins.blogspot.co...k-coins.html
The one pictured did not have dots around the star or an animal on the other side, but use of a star pattern could mean it is similar to coin 4 (and because only part of the star is shown on coin 4 I can't tell if it's five- or six-pointed). No further attribution was given in the website referenced.

It does look like a pretty unique star on your coin. I know Arcot also had a few star-coins, and Travancore even more so. But searching through the coins of those two places, I still cannot seem to find a match...
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly appreciate all comments and suggetions.

For coin 4 I found a listing for a kasu of the Madurai Nayaka at KM 22 that describes a peacock R (no photo), weight 1.5-3.0 grams, and I'm going with this attribution because the peacock and weight match. I can't tell if the writing is correct.

For coin 6 the elephant surrounded by dots looks like other Mysore copper kasu (specifically KM 151 and 152), so although I can't match up the writing on the reverse, I'm just going with that general attribution.

So all except coin 7 now have some attribution (kingdom and broad time period) although for many the specific ruler is unknown. I'm assuming coin 7 is a 2 kasu because of the number 2 on it. The elephant may suggest Mysore, but nothing definite is known about this coin at this point.

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correction to immediately preceding post - Coin 1 has the peacock and is now attributed to Madurai Nayaks, not coin 4.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11080 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For coin 1 I found a listing for a kasu of the Madurai Nayaka at KM 22 that describes a peacock R (no photo), weight 1.5-3.0 grams, and I'm going with this attribution because the peacock and weight match. I can't tell if the writing is correct.

Hm... could KM#22 be this one? If so, the bird looks a little different. The closest example I could find for Coin 1 was something from Andhra, but that certainly does not look like an exact match. No matter how much I rotate it, the legend does not want to match up.

And I still cannot seem to find anything close to Coin 7...
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I agree that the coin in the link photo is probably KM22, which means that my coin 1 is not that, and I still don't know what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
875 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin 7 looks like a poor example of these -
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/in...ml#msg166945
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05