Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please help me ID this ancient coin!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickirows to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, my name's Nicki! I just started collecting coins recently and I'm loving it so far! I love, love ancient coins, but my are they hard to identify (in my opinion, at least). I bought this uncleaned coin online and tried my best to clean it, but this is as good as I can get it (believe it or not, it once looked worse!). However, I'm not super familiar with ancient coins, and I'm having trouble identifying it. If anyone can identify it for me, or even just point me in the right direction to search myself, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Note: I measured it and it's about 18mm in diameter, non-magnetic. On the obverse, I can make out a portrait of a person (presumably a man) facing towards the right. He has a headband-like thing on with a single ribbon coming off the back of his head. Also perhaps something ridged on his shoulder. As for the reverse... all I can make out is what I think is a man standing. The arm on the right seems to be held outward and the arm on the left seems to be either bent down at a weird angle, or perhaps holding something like a spear, attached to a larger object near his knee. Maybe. I have no idea, to be quite honest.

Again, any and all help, however small, is appreciated. Thank you so much! If you need any larger pictures, I'll do my best to get them! I've attached four pictures here: two unedited pictures, and two pictures photoshopped to be brighter and crisper. Thanks so much!!

Edit: Also, if anyone has any tips for cleaning it further (if possible), I'd appreciate it! I've tried soaking it in distilled water for a fortnight, soaking it in diet coke for an hour, soaking it in apple cider vinegar for an hour, and coating it in ketchup and letting it sit for a bit.

Edited by nickirows
01/17/2018 9:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5673 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NR, first welcome to CCF. Second, your coin looks like a Roman bronze to me, but others should be able to weigh in with more info.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Learn More...
United States
20703 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Your coins is a late Roman bronze (LRB) of what appears to be Valentinian I.

There is a sticky section here titled Books, downloads and website, there you will find a lot of useful information about ancient coins. I recommend you take a look at it.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickirows to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, thank you! Valentinian I was very helpful!! I found this website on this forum, and followed it to this page. I think my coin is most likely this one?
http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/042/042i.htm

I'm so happy! I searched fruitlessly on the internet for two days before posting here!

Edit: Is there a chance it could be Gratianus? I swear I can make out a "G" on the obverse. Or is there a way beyond reading the letters to tell which ruler it is?
Edited by nickirows
01/17/2018 9:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
20703 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm reading DN VAL which would make it Valentinian.
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickirows to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for your help! I've tentatively labeled it "Thessalonica RIC IX 26a, xvii var" based on what I can glean from the coin (with your assistance!) Your help was much appreciated! Next time I think I'll buy a coin pre-cleaned, haha. It'd certainly make the identification easier! :P
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05