Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just In: 1858 20c Blundered I In Gratia Now Recognized By PCGS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  9:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This variety only showed up in the population report in the last 1-2 days, after I sent two of these into PCGS.

Here is the population report of the 1858 20c Blundered I in GRATIA. The population currently stands at 6.

https://www.PCGS.com/pop/detail.aspx?c=4356

And here are my two examples:

AU50:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/30310099

XF45:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/21927089

Edited by canadian-varieties
01/24/2018 9:50 pm
Valued Member
Canada
63 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Muskokarocks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant beleive its not butter. I mean cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned? Come on!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I'd say the Ef45 looks closer to a vf35, but I personally wouldn't say it looks cleaned. As for The Au-50 I actually think PCGS was pretty on the money with her.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other AU50 is in my collection. And yes, I think it is optimistically graded.

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/33391928

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin Gene...

This variety (Blundered I in GRATIA) is much harder to find in EF+ grades than people realize...

Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto. Nice coin 1960NYGiants.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.The other AU50 is in my collection. And yes, I think it is optimistically graded.

Yea, I find PCGS' "definition" of AU is usually quite... Loose? I find most of the coins PCGS grades AU-58 seem to fall anywhere within the Au50 to MS60 range usually lower looking than AU58 and most PCGS AU50s I have seen seem to more resemble ICCS EF-40s.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is true...I routinely have ICCS EF40s jump up to PCGS AU50 or PCGS AU53...although these days ICCS is starting to slip...

But there are about 20% ICCS EF40s that are cleaned and scratched that would be rejected by PCGS completely...

I think in 10 years...ICCS will not be around...and PCGS will likely step in and take over the Canadian market, when they open an office in Canada and offer competitive prices

Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eh can't entirely disagree with You C-V. Both fine examples of why collectors should try and learn to grade a bit on their own. Also can't deny its a nice advantage when PCGS will certify certain Canadian coin variety's that ICCS won't (at least from what I have heard).

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05