Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion On This Partially Toned 1928 Peace Dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think of this coin? Unfortunately I don't own it so I can't post additional pictures. I thought dark toning was usually viewed as a negative but I kind of like it on this coin. The strike looks pretty decent as well. Do you think the eye appeal is good or bad on this one? Looks like an original surface to me so it feels more legit than a "blast white" coin IMO.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nice. 58. Strong strike for date both obverse and reverse. I agree with your toning assessment. Peace are really hard to find with nice toning, hence most set collectors going for white. Note there are a lot of dings and marks hiding in the toning, but nothing severe.

Worth strong AU money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Looks like nice toning to me and if you like it and find it attractive then that's all that matters and likely others will also.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe these color corrected pics show the toning better? Nice coin!

Edited by TreeMonkey
01/25/2018 11:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The area around TY looks more like environmental damage than toning to me, with that rough bubbly texture. I also see a lot of horizontal hairlines on the obverse. Take my opinion with a grain of salt - I know next to nothing about Peace dollars; just browsing the forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like toning on this coin, but too many light scratches are bothersome.
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting range of opinions! I struggle with knowing he difference between circulation scratches and cleaning scratches. Since these are horizontal and light, I took them as typical circulation marks but how can you tell? For the record this straight graded AU 58 from a reputable TPG.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16100 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't really matter how the scratches got there.
Just grade accordingly.

As far as toning is concerned, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as a result, you will get a range of opinions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably graded in an older ANACS holder, as there's an ANACS logo on the holder.

Nice coin. I agree with the AU-58 grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A word of caution if you are buying the coin from these images. The white plastic around the coin is not representative of the actual color. Because of the yellowing in the image, the actual toning on coin may appear different in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42830 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are thinking of buying this, be sure you have return privileges.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05