Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I seeing this correctly? Wikispaces going away as of this July  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2719 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found an alarming message on wikispaces this morning while I was vamming.

Did I just miss this? Has this been discussed? If so what will happen to Vamworld?

I'm hoping either someone tells me this is a joke or that Vamworld has plans to move it's content if wikispaces is truly going away. Any info is appreciated....
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8218 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's news as of this morning and not a joke. This message by Messydesk from the VAMworld message board "Stay tuned for a VAMWORLD migration strategy."
Should prove to be interesting at the very least.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at Wikispace's blog, the entire service is shutting down for technical reasons -- too expensive to maintain/upgrade. Everyone has a few months to get their content migrated to another service (and Wikispaces will help) but it's up to the users to figure out what to do with their space and make the transition, if they're going to at all.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2719 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope Vamworld gets transferred somewhere without any issues. I love Sotheby’s site and live there a lot...
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Edited by srs77
02/12/2018 2:26 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19321 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The software that runs Wikipedia is open source and can be downloaded freely. It's pretty easy to set up, I've done it. However migration can be tricky and who knows if wikispaces will make their DB available. There have been similar situations, usually free forum sites though, that hold your DB for ransom when they shut down.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you know Bobby, it's not the software, it's the scale. Any fool can hand code a web page... coding 100s or 1000s of web pages and serving them to 1000s or more simultaneous users that is difficult.

An analogy:

If I want to go to the coin show this Saturday, I hop in the car and drive. If a couple of us want to go, we meet in the side lot of Walmart, you park your cars and hop in mine and I drive to the show. Not THAT much more complex for 3 or 4 vs. 1.

If I want to take the whole club to the ANA show in Irving, now we need a bus. Place to meet and park more than 2 or 3 cars. Maybe hotel rooms and food. How often does the bus stop for bathroom breaks.

As you scale up, the logistics get much more complex... beyond linear.
-----Burton
43+ year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 33 years (joined 1983)
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19321 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As you know Bobby, it's not the software, it's the scale. Any fool can hand code a web page... coding 100s or 1000s of web pages and serving them to 1000s or more simultaneous users that is difficult.

It absolutely is the software. Wikis are database driven. All of the same type pages are the same code just like here. There is one single page of code for every single solitary topic here (over a 1/4 million).... topic.asp. There is one single page of code for every single member's profile page... pop_profile.asp.

If you get the same software for the new site and someone very familiar with migrating databases it can possibly be done in less than an hour. (Depends on the size of the DB) Got nothing to do with scale other than the time you wait while migrating the DB.

I know I could move this site somewhere else, with the help of my DB guy in likely less than 2 hours and it would only take that long because the DB is almost 10GB.
Learn More...
United States
23514 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be surprised if VAMworld is anywhere near the size of CCF. At least now I get my wish to see the place migrated off of the wiki platform.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If CCF did take over VamWorld, I for one wouldn't mind paying a subscribers fee here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6764 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hoping that they come up with a solution as well. I think the Wikipedia-type system as Bobby is mentioning would be awesome because it allows both real-time editing and a discussion page for each topic. However, both Wikipedia and Wikispaces' discussion/forum systems are terrible. Perhaps the CCF VAM forum could become the official or semi-official VAM forum with the blessing of the SSDC, in exchange for some sort of compensation to Bobby; this would be an improvement and also funnel some traffic to CCF for generating PPI ad revenue & maybe even CCF subs/SSDC memberships.

I wonder if John et al. have talked to the ANA about a numismatic grant to help re-establish the website, or perhaps enlisting the aid of donations from SSDC and NSDR members? I'd be more than willing to contribute. Some of the things I had briefly discussed with him & others at ANA in regards to the VW site a couple of years ago might be more feasible on a new platform, e.g. a page on each VAM for user photos of their own examples of that particular VAM and its diagnostics.

Perhaps the new website can also integrate with the SSDC Registry website to more of an extent than it currently does, allowing automatic updates of Registry populations instead of requiring tedious manual page-by-page editing.

A new website with better usability and a better design might bring increased public exposure, memberships, and more importantly, donations, which could be used to fund more scholarships to the VAM classes, promote VAM Thing, and help publish more VAM-related books.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If CCF did take over VamWorld, I for one wouldn't mind paying a subscribers fee here.

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I would argue that there is already way more than enough value here on CCF that you shouldn't mind being a site supporter.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19321 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

No plans for that, don't even know where that came from.

They are absolutely welcome to use our forum though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see how my above comment can be taken out of context.
To try & explain it a different way.
Since becoming a members most of my posts were sharing my errors, researching info so I can provide correct information members are asking about, etc..
The last few years with my serial number plate positions charts, research & census data on Natick Web Overprint Errors.

When my brother-in-law died in 2011 & my sister dropped off about 75 Morgan silver dollars she needed to dispose of quickly to raise much needed money, this is when I needed the help from the experts here, and the people here amazed me with their VAM knowledge.

This is why I mentioned being willing to pay to keep VamWorld alive, not for me since my brain is wired for currency, but for the experts here who study the thousands of Varieties of Silver Dollars.

I will admit that my posts seem a bit confusing expressing my thoughts, and can only attribute it to my last stroke in 2015.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1409 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still prefer to attempt to attribute my Morgans myself before asking for help. I saw where the VW data/info will be available until the end of July 2018.

Is downloading the recommendation? Is that safe for technically difficient users? Does it require significant storage space?

You can see where I'm going with this. I'm just trying to figure out where I can go in the future with the demise of VW. I used their photos to attribute most if not all of my Morgans.

I posted in CCF new additions to my collection and sought attribution confirmation here.

Your thoughts and patience with me are appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8218 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The VAMworld 2.0 message board is up and running. There is a link on the old site named "New VAMworld Forums - Message Board" http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...47d9ae699eff

The old message board was locked down this past saturday but still visible. The VAM listing pages are still accessible but I'm not sure if any updates will be done before they are moved to the new site.
Member SSDC
Learn More...
United States
23514 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was unable to register - their Captcha scheme is completely unreadable and I exceeded the number of allowed attempts trying to get it right.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05