Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 Large Cent Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Papeldog, I had a similar experience.

If you keep calling them, they will eventually fix the 1882 DDO that has its own PCGS number but you have to keep hounding them before they send the coins back to you.

PCGS doesn't recognize Charlton, so it's pointless to try to get them to recognize the other two coins, if they dont have their own PCGS numbers.

Someone just asked me today why I charge so much for my PCGS recognized 1888 Middle 8 with Bead Punch (I didn't tell him because of how hard it is to get coins into PCGS slabs with the variety recognized lol).

Many collectors, especially who haven't interacted much with PCGS, have no idea how difficult it is to get coins into PCGS slabs and with the proper variety.

In unrelated news, I see PCGS FINALLY has recognized the 1893 Repunched 9. I've got about 30 of those

Good luck.
Edited by canadian-varieties
06/13/2019 2:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good CV about the 93 DP.

I hounded them for 3 days about my 1882 but all for nothing even after talking to them this early morning they just sent me a email saying they just mailed my coins, and with no change.

I called them just minutes ago and demanded to speak to a supervisor that I'm not happy with there service and I want some answers why I wasn't contacted or my emails returned with answers to my questions.
After another 15 minute wait I was told he would call me in the morning probably more bull.

That's it with them I'm giving up my membership I won't send anymore coins to be graded by them
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a call back from PCGS about my concerns by a guy named Joe.
We talked about my concerns and there policies and how hard it is to even get to talk to anyone other than the receptionist.

That is why my coins were shipped out before it was explained to me why they never noted the DDO on my 1882, he mentioned that there was a notation on my form that they didn't think it was a DDO.
So now I send it back with picture's and literature on this coin to prove my point. I told him the key markers to look for proof on the picture they have of it and that my coin is harder to see in Canada and Regina not as noticeable as the book, but I also told him the only die with the extra denticles along the bottom from CAN in Canada to VI in Victoria making it an key marker for this coin.
Joe is sending me an email on how to return it and a couple other coins I have that were over looked and the variety not noted on the holders I have to pay for shipping but the services will be free.
Another thing we discussed was the $35.00 fee and the $65.00 fee for varieties the receptionist told me they didn't grade it was because I never paid the variety fee. I disagreed and said it has its on PCGS number so it should be $35.00 if its in your system with its own number Joe agreed.

I feel a little better than yesterday about all this we will see what the future brings
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to remember that attribution of Canadian varieties such as this are a relative new thing for PCGS, and growing pains are to be expected...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, which 1882H 2 over 1 did you send in? The one with the doubled denticles between VICTORIA and CANADA is a 2 over 1, but I doubt they will ever call it a DDO. The one with the heavily doubled legends through CANADA and REGINA has been the one they have called DDO.

https://www.victoriancent.com/hybri...bverses.html
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent in the second coin that I posted in the first post of this Topic if you press on picture it shows up better
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the one that I doubt they will call a DDO. Your coin is the second 2 over 1 shown at the bottom of this webpage.

https://www.victoriancent.com/hybri...bverses.html

The offset in the legends in that one just is not very much.

The third one at the bottom of the webpage is the one they have previously called DDO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what Joe had thought as well Rob for the reasoning why it wasn't noted as DDO on the holder. If nothing else I'm happy with the grade it got an AU-55.

I also talked to him about the 1881 reverse die clash I have n MS-63 I mentioned that it also was missed as the variety mentioned to send it back for re-holder. It is fainter than most do you think I will I just be spinning my wheels if I send it back Rob?

The best part of it all is I finally broke through the front lines of PCGS and made a contact behind the wall he gave me his direct line and EXT on how to contact him.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 is a nice grade for that one. It is not as rare as the DDO, but pretty scarce. My best one is AU-50.

I really do not know how PCGS will view a die clash. I never tried to send them one.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I was very happy with AU-55.

I do have a DDO in a lower grade that has been cleaned and don't think I would get a grade.

But for some reason I had in my mind that it was a triple punched die not a double punch die I guess that's where the confusion was on my part.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob: Do you think that the '82 DDO that you showed and referenced to JIm (the one with the doubled denticles)could have been the same die as the 1876 type 2 (with the R/P'd T) that has the same doubled denticles in the same spot. They reused 1876 Obv 1 dies in both '81 & 82. I always thought it strange that the 2/1 '82 had the same doubled denticles as the 1876 Ty 2 scarcity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill, I don't think so. The 76 has obv 1 single serifs and the 82 has 2/1 doubled ones.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but ALL the old 1876 Obv dies were repunched in '81 & '82 to make the single serifs double. And the Type 2 1876 "R/P'd T" has the same doubled denticles and R/P's letters as the 1882 2/1 (A's & N) or nearly so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not positive which 76 you are referring to. Here is one type of RP "T":

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/35428858

A second was the one we put on page 301 of the 2011 Charlton. Neither of those two types have doubled denticles.

There is a third, but I don't have a picture of it. I don't remember if it had doubled denticles, or not.

Having said all that, I think if Heaton used any leftover dies from 1876 in 1881 or 1882, and I am not sure that they did, they had single serifs. I think any 1881 and 1882 dies for circulating cents that had doubled serifs were sunk in 1881 and 1882.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1466 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just thought this may help?

A Quote from 2015

Quote:
I'm aware that there were two different dies that produced obverse 2 over obv.1 coins with this example or type being the more common.
However I rarely come across these attributed. I believe this is because a lot of people are not aware of the markers for this coin.
I know most of you on this site are well informed and will already be aware of the markers but for someone just starting out it may be of assistance.
If it only helps one person then I'd be happy.

Cheers, Bill

Their photo

1881 Die 1
note the apostrophe between N'A

1882 Die 1
note the apostrophe between N'A

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
06/16/2019 7:07 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05