Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mysterious Coin, New Here

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 783Next Topic  

Sweden
4 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  06:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Marli to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, totally new here. I joined because I can't seem to find information on this one coin I have. On one side it says Bankhaus Gebruder Bethman, which seems to be a German bank. I have contacted the bank with a description of the coin but no one remembers it. Could you please help me? /Markus

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1860 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum !

If you could provide clearer photos, preferably the right way up and without your finger, it would help.

Could you photo outside the plastic ?
If not, what is the inscription on the other side from Bankhaus ?
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Sweden
4 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sweden
4 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't get them the right way up sorry, this phone is killing me!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like some sort of commemorative coin. The bank could have had them made to celebrate an anniversary.

I'm not one of the pros on here. Let's see what they say.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
4144 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

Bankhaus Gebrüder Bethmann is indeed a very large and important bank that seems to be the focus of some "world order" conspiracy theories involving the Rothschilds. This appears to be a token denominated as a "Sachsenhauser Marke" - Sachsenhausen is a district within the city of Frankfurt, and also unfortunately infamous as the site of a Nazi concentration camp.

I think it's probably a celebratory/advertising piece that might have been redeemable at the bank.

Colligo ergo sum
Sweden
4 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your answers, but the bank says they know nothing about the coin.
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it has had a surprising amount of ware for something that isn't a circulated coin, must be a soft metal or it had a hard life.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3736 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's so odd being 1988 wasn't that long ago. Numismatically speaking. Wonder if it could be one coin from a collector's set that was minted for German landmarks or a wider reaching collection for world financial institutions?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
02/25/2018 6:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@LC, sorry but I'm going to respectfully disagree with your translation of the Gothic German on the reverse of this token. I believe that it actually says "SACHENHAUSER WARTE". This is one of the fortified towers in Frankfurt and appears to be the design element on the rev.

According to wikipedia, this medieval site was renovated and is currently used as a restaurant and inn. I'm thinking that this is a tourist token. With a little creative searching, you can find the restaurant on the interwebs and, if you wanted, give them a call. Better yet, visit them the next time you are in Frankfurt!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4144 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe that it actually says "SACHENHAUSER WARTE".

Looking at the photo more closely, I'll concede you've got that right. Without a denomination, this probably is just more of an promotional medal than a token.

Colligo ergo sum
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be snarky...a modern day "Brothal Token"...
Sweden
4 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Marli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the answers! I will most definitely call this restaurant and see what they know. If they are as clueless as the bank I might return here again. Respectfully /Markus
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Please return and let us know what you find out.
Learn More...
United States
90106 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 783Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05