Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS slab with scuffs inside? 1910 Half Eagle  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thattalldude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm rather new to the forum so if I mess something up, I apologize in advance. Anyways I recently purchased a PCGS 1910 half eagle at a estate sale. Looking at the case it is really scratched up, When looking closely it almost looks like there are some scuffs INSIDE the slab, like around where the coin is. This is my first PCGS slab and I don't know if this is something that can happen while they are making the slab. Or if it could possibly be a fake. Any help would be much appreciated, I have attached a photo and if you look near the stars before the word LIBERTY you can see some scuffs of some sort. I've looked at different angles on the slab and they don't look to be on the surface

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Thattalldude
03/12/2018 11:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10286 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures would help.

It's highly unlikely they're inside the slab if it's a real PCGS slab, but without pictures or even knowing what generation slab it is it's really impossible to do anything but guess
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7340 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TTD, first welcome to CCF. Second, are you saying that your coin is damaged on the inside surface of the slab is damaged? Some slabs get scratches and scuffs on the outside. Pictures would be very helpful in letting us understand what you've got there.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Learn More...
United States
12737 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There have been recent examples of finger prints on a slabbed coin. Can you provide some images?
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
3757 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thattalldude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will post a picture later, but to be clearer. The plastic holder piece that surrounds the coin to keep it in place has scuffs in areas that surround the coin. It's hard to explain. I'll get a picture soon.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10286 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The plastic holder piece that surrounds the coin to keep it in place has scuffs in areas that surround the coin. It's hard to explain. I'll get a picture soon.

If you're referring to the insert ring that holds the coin, that's a softer plastic and most likely just some imperfection in the plastic or manufacturing scuff.
Learn More...
United States
57047 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2041 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the older PCGS they used a solid insert ring to hold the coin in place. The new PCGS coin holder use a three prong insert to hold the coin in place.

I have a Old Green Holder (OGH) that has scoffs on the solid insert ring that holds the coin in place. On this coin the scuffs are on the inside of the coin holder's hard plastic. The scuffs are not distracting because they do not impact the viewing of the coin. On the coin below I did remove the scoffs on the outside hard plastic with some Meguiar's PlastX and micro fiber cloth.

It appears that you have the same issue with the coin that you posted.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05