Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 P LMC What caused the bottom four steps to be wavy?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While roll searching I had come across this 1992 P LMC with wavy steps on the bottom steps of the memorial. I had done some research and the only thing that I could find for that year was the 1992 D varieties and you could see the waves at the top of the steps. I'm quite sure you all will tell me this is common for that year but I have yet to read anything about it for the 1992 P LMC. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Jim0815
03/13/2018 9:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22666 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a lot of wavy steps in my collection/hoard, and I do not see yours as a wavy step.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1. I'm glad to know that the waving I see in the bottom four steps are normal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1, I added another photo. Maybe this one will better show you what I am seeing. Again, probably a normal cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pics, by the way. It's nice to see sharp, clear, well-lighted images (unlike my own).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22666 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked traildies.com
I still don't see any wavy steps.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1, I went to the site you told me to go, thank you for that information! So now that I have a better understanding of the subject I have a question, what would cause the four bottom steps to be wavy like that?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22666 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A low area on the planchet before strike?
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because I was a press operator for years I don't think a low spot is the culprit. I think if that were the case then you would have a stronger strike on the outside of the devises and a weaker strike in the middle. Even with that idea the horizontal lines of the steps would still to be straight. The pics of the steps were taken straight on and not at an angle. All of the devises are sharp and clear with no MD or DDD signs of die wear. I guess I'll just keep it as an anomaly. Thank you, John1. Thank you for responding. You have no idea how much I appreciate this site and people like you that help people like me out.
Edited by Jim0815
03/14/2018 07:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22666 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry I couldn't really help much. Maybe PM coop or Mike,they know for sure.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You help more than you know my friend. I'm sure they have seen this thread and think it's a normal cent which it probably is as you've pointed out and will just put it back into circulation.
Edited by Jim0815
03/14/2018 10:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30006 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wavy steps see to show more on the upper part of the stairs:
It often appears stronger on the left or right area below the columns

These are not doubled dies, but more like die trails.

They don't not copy the design of the hub, but altered after the creation of the die before any coin was struck. These go through die states just like a normal coin. But are a die variety. (Not considered die damage because it happened before the first coin was struck)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/14/2018 2:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22666 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is Jims' coin coop?
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, is there a reason that the bottom steps are wavy or is that just common?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30006 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would probably need to see if this was an issue that year.

Sometimes and event will alter the coin rather than the die.

If this was an issue that would bring a premium if it were a series/die/production issue we would probably know about it by now. But so far just the Trails, Wavy steps and DDR examples on the Memorial cents are all I know about. So if it looks different, it maybe just a coin issue?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll keep the coin and keep searching. Thank Mr. Coop and John1.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05