Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Want to Discuss Douglas Robins Collection of Canadian Tokens?  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ten Vexators! I will be honest here - I never held a Brass Vexator. They do seem to be of a low zinc type like the W13-18 GIII Portrait Blacksmiths. In other words almost appearing like copper. JPL.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carabonnair to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked at the lots on the Heritage site. Amazing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Carabonnair until this sale I never seen a Vexator in low zinc brass. I am assuming low zinc for personal reasons.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carabonnair to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering about this one that appeared on eBay recently

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blacksmith...323163029406

What is it - is there one like this in Robins collection?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
852 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is an amazing collection. I had never really branched into token collecting, but I might need to bid on a few of these.

If I don't keep my copy of the auction catalog, would anyone like it? HA sent it to me for free, so no cost on my end.

They also sent the world & ancient collection catalog to me, it feels like it weighs about 7 lbs. I will not be keeping this catalog, free local pickup (Burnaby) or you pay the postage. PM me if interested.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bids in on 4 lots, and while I hope they go (to me) for the (for what I think are low) auction estimates I don't suspect that will be the case.

Such an amazing collection it is a shame to see it broken up....

.... unless of course I get my piece of the pie!

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to watch most of the auction on Heritage Live tonight. All I can say is WOW! Some fantastic pieces with all of the proof / specimen issues going for 2 to 6 times estimate. I was able to get one lot of 3 Sloops relatively inexpensive. Anyone else get anything?

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wished I was able to watch more, but was working.
As I browse the results all I can say is... Heritage must be very pleased... 4x estimate in most cases.
I was able to pick up 2 lots (posted in errors section and grading section).
It will be a long time before I am able to top these purchases.

Bottom line,

I am stunned to think that all this was in ONE collection... can't even imagine...
more importantly, the high end market in Canadian Colonials is alive and well.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1930 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, Gene. Unfortunately, I forgot all about it and didn't tune in to the auction. But I'm really not into tokens anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, guys. Doug had some great stuff. I sat through many auctions where he was in the room buying things with both hands.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1295 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the general consensus on the prices realized? I am not a token collector, but I grabbed one lot of French regular issue that are condition rarities. I feel like I stole them. They crossover to US colonial collecting so I was a bit surprised at the hammer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2500 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried bidding on the finest known PC-2B which is in RB MS66 but knew I would get beaten, I was still amazed that it went for only $900 when proofs which were conditionally more common of the same issue went for $2000.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won 2 of the 4 lots I bid on (was underbidder on the other 2), and got the 2 for less than I had budgeted.
Still it was a bunch of money, but looking at the results of many other lots it looks like a bunch of people spent a bunch of money.

All in all it was good to see that top pieces are still getting top dollar.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was all out to go 1 of 2 on the specimen bank tokens but found some of the MS lots quite reasonable.

Boning up for the sale was interesting but I felt hampered by the absence of provenances on many lots.
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add medievalcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was one of the greatest sales of Canadian tokens yet in the 21st century. I knew Doug personally, and he was very generous with his time, and helping me as a younger collector.
Was fortunate to acquire many nice pieces from the sale...and will cherish the catalog which will become part of my library.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05