Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Brockage Split Planchet Zincoln Cent. Take A Look Inside The Core!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,419Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw this up for sale( working on it)and thought it's interesting to view this exploading exposed Zincoln Core with that thin layer of Copper

Edited by Chase007
03/16/2018 3:41 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good example showing just how fragile that copper plate is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that one Chase! It's still an very nice example of Broackage and having the Copper plating split is very common with these type of errors. It's also appears to be Struck Off Center too or it could be a Broadstrike (Completely different error). I hope you buy it at a good and fair price!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a die cap issue also, given the huge memorial imprint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct E/V it is a Broadstruck as well, hoping the bids don't creep up too much.
arista, I wondered about that as well,it sure is a very different brockage than those I've seen before!
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. Good luck -- hope you win the auction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We will see
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck to you Chase. I have watched auctions before with these type of error coins (did not bid on them) and they usually go expensively sky high with the bidders fighting over it. You can win, but don't be surprised if the bid gets to be out of your budget range. I hope you win, but it won't be easy though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My brain hurts on this one. But from what I can tell this was broadstruck and then struck through a capped die. Mabi something else I'm missing can't look at it no more lol. But if so how on earth would that happen without assistance? But then the reverse wouldn't look like that if it was struck through te capped die off center also. Yea I don't know can't figure this one
Edited by Slamnbass
03/17/2018 01:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2151 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking uncentered Brockage minted 1993 or later. Thanks, Doug.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a vice Job to me

Just messing with you.Interesting looking to say the least hope you win that bad boy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brockage, split planchet and uncentered,Yes. What has gotten me wondering is the reverse impression incuse on the obverse!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slamnbass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the brockage chase...prior coin didn't properly eject preventing the collar from engaging causing the broadstruck and the brockage mirror image on this planchet...it was late last night lol
Edited by Slamnbass
03/17/2018 1:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slamnbass, Thank you for explaining, it makes a perfect sense!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2151 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though the coin is struck outside of the collar confines. I hesitate combining the terms brockage with broadstrike, because full details are not present on both sides. I can only assume it would be present had the strike through not occured. Thanks, Doug.

http://www.error-ref.com/broadstrikes/

Quote:
PART VI. Striking Errors:

Broadstrikes

Definition:A coin that is struck outside the collar. The collar is the retaining ring that establishes the final diameter of the newly-struck coin. A broadstrike will expand beyond the diameter of a normal coin, sometimes drastically so.

A perfectly centered coin that is struck out-of-collar is simply called a "broadstrike". An imperfectly centered coin that is struck out-of-collar is called an "uncentered broadstrike".

In order to qualify as a broadstrike, the full design must be present on both faces. If the design is cut off on either face, it is called an "off-center strike".

Edited by Halo1st
03/17/2018 3:55 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05