Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upgrading Existing Collections Vs Starting A New One?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,405Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  09:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started out collecting from circulation back when I was a kid. Looking at what I put together, I definitely see where I could upgrade a lot of my collection with better grades of coins. Of course the attraction of starting a new one is definitely there too. I'm thinking of starting an Indian Head cent collection while periodically picking up better grades of my Lincoln wheat cents and Jefferson nickels. I also have 12 missing Roosevelt silver dimes to find. I'll likely swap out common Lincoln cents with MS replacements. The costs of key date Lincoln wheat cents is a bit too much for my budget. Will look for MS replacements for Jefferson nickels. I'll pick up the missing Roosevelt dimes in AU or MS as the cost is quite reasonable.

My thoughts are if I don't find quality Indian Head cents examples at the coin shows or dealers, I'll try to pick up quality replacements of existing collections.
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be cool to start a new collection. That way you are able to keep your old one to compare what you accomplished as a kid to what you have now. Just my Two Cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
golpher~!

I have mostly just started new collections....and
sold or given away my lower grade collections.

Either way, it's a fun project.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15581 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are faced with many of us are faced with quite often .I personally have upgraded many of my sets before starting new ones . The drawback to that is the cost of the keys and semi-keys . So it's up to you and your coin budget .
Note ; starting new sets of different denominations can be very addictive ,but a heck of a lot of Fun .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I maintain several sets for a given denomination. I have my strictly circulation sets and then I have my higher grade sets, some pulled from circulation and others from LCSs and auctions. I like keeping my circulation sets pure; fun to see how far one can get from picking change, digging, and CRH. But from an investment standpoint, building high grade sets is important if you have any hope of recouping initial investment.

Good luck in whatever path you choose!
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to start a Indian Head cents collection and finish up finding the 12 Roosevelt dimes I'm missing. May look for key date Buffalo nickels if I'm not finding Indian Head cents I find attractive.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4188 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As they say, "count the cost" of the complete collection before starting it, or be prepared to do without the keys.
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All depends on the grade desired as to whether I can actively collect multiple sets. I'd rather focus on one quality set like an XF/AU Indian Head cent set or similar for Buffalo nickel. I could go for a higher grade Franklin half set. But, kinda like the idea of an older set. Washington quarters are also doable.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It might be cool to start a new collection. That way you are able to keep your old one to compare what you accomplished as a kid to what you have now. Just my Two Cents.
Sort of what I am doing with my Eisenhower dollars. The 8176 was the first Dansco I had completed, back in 1993. The set's origin dates back to 1978, so they have a lot of sentimental value. Instead of upgrading coins in the album I decided to compliment it by building a graded set with higher quality examples.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4940 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been coinroll hunting Lincoln Cents for some time. I decided to start about a year back the Whitman LMC Album. Glad I did. Only the best of the best finds go in it. It's always fun starting something new.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completed the silver Roosevelt and Washington sets myself. I am now buying AU-MS examples to replace the circulated examples with. As long as the coin has mint luster, and is attractive, it is replacing what is already in the album. I'm then taking the circulated coins that get replaced, and I'm putting them in coin tubes. So to me (at least with those sets) I'm upgrading my album as well as adding to my "silver stack" box. One thing I should have done from the beginning with the silver Roosies was I should have just went straight for the BU instead of the circulated coins. I'm learning now that getting BU Roosies doesn't cost much money at all, save for maybe a couple.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centsei to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I would add to this discussion is that for me the answer has been careful documentation. I have a Lincoln cent collection that was mostly pulled from circulation when I was a kid, with some gifts from my dad supplementing those, and finally, many years later, I purchased (most) everything that was missing. As you might imagine, the coins that mean the most to me are the ones my dad and I found in rolls, along with the gifts from him. But I'm also thankful that I've been able to complete the collection, even if purchasing coins does not have quite the same excitement as "finding" them. Anyway, back to my point, all the coins are kept together, but I have a carefully detailed narrative of which coin came from which stage of the collecting process.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScottRoss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to upgrade. Seeking the perfect set!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3650 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would rather leave a set alone after I complete it. What I did with IHC is that I stated a slabbed set with full "liberty", in the process I've upgraded a few coins when I can't find a slabbed coin I like/ can afford. It's a win/win.

The other sets I had been given coins already so there was more an urgency to complete the set rather than upgrade and a few like the bison nickels I tried doing using the dealer junk box, only purchased about 10, so I'm not upgrading that one.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The number of holes in my type collection means that I probably won't have to worry about starting anew anytime in the future. However, if coin shows were a thing near me (fingers crossed for them returning soon) I would be at them looking for both upgrades to some coins and new examples I dont have yet. One collection is plenty for me, and upgrading it forever is how I stay entertained
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of rotation - I always have some of my collections in the back of my upgrade bin, but there's not too much more exciting than starting a collection and immediately getting a boatload of the common dates :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,405Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05