Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying To Find How To Sell Rolls Of Pennys

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
my mom is going on 91 years old and her and my dad saved coins ,he died back in the mid 80's and she had to sell a lot of what they had ,most went for silver price ,(she got robded) but had to feed us kids and trusted the wrong guy,now she still has all the pennys rolls of them ,would take me a year or more to go though them ,now she's at that time she wants to sell , but does not have time to sell one at a time,they have been put away back in late 50's to early 70's all wheat backs .rolls of bie's ,all years ,and alot of 1957-d says errors on the roll but I didn't opean them ,but did take some picks of some they had in 2x2 ,now I see some maybe md , but have repunched mint makes ?and looks like rolls of mixed repunched .I'm lost looking for some help.plus 2x2 books with pages of 1909 on (and yes vbd's )1922's weak -d and on, no coin dealers around us and only like one show ayear and it's miles away .
and some picked out nickels too from then

Edited by cookiemonster
03/18/2018 11:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay can be a good direction to take. It might also be worth while to take the coins to multiple dealers and get appraisals.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'll have to post some pic later on phone and need to get them moved over

Pillar of the Community
United States
1608 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has notoriously high seller fees. Sell em here!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2601 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many rolls are you talking about? The coins in 2x2's will need to be addressed coin by coin. How many of these do you have.

It is sad hearing about her silver.
Edited by DrDon
03/18/2018 3:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no such thing as an unpicked or unsearched roll of Wheat cents, take a photo of a group of them, make it look good, and open one roll and show it to the camera in front of the group of rolls. Then sell each roll to the highest bidder, unopened, let them bid them up. Be sure to list the contents of the open roll, and state that it is representative of the lot of rolls, but there is no guarantee as to what each roll contains, other than Wheat cents.

Let the bidders enjoy getting the rolls, and don't worry about losing money, the coins in the 2x2s are the ones you should sell individually. The rolls are the collector's excess.

If you don't want to consider bids, then put a price of $20 on each roll and be done with it.

Be sure to charge enough postage per roll. $4 US should be enough, First Class with deliver confirmation. No returns on rolled coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no such thing as an unpicked or unsearched roll of Wheat cents, take a photo of a group of them, make it look good, and open one roll and show it to the camera in front of the group of rolls. Then sell each roll to the highest bidder, unopened, let them bid them up. Be sure to list the contents of the open roll, and state that it is representative of the lot of rolls, but there is no guarantee as to what each roll contains, other than Wheat cents.

Let the bidders enjoy getting the rolls, and don't worry about losing money, the coins in the 2x2s are the ones you should sell individually. The rolls are the collector's excess.

If you don't want to consider bids, then put a price of $20 on each roll and be done with it.

Be sure to charge enough postage per roll. $4 US should be enough, First Class with deliver confirmation. No returns on rolled coins.

Sounds like excellent advice to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
heres some pics

Pillar of the Community
United States
1950 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As noted above, the rolls are the excess baggage of a coin collection. You might consider pulling anything you think may have a premium value and setting it aside. Add up the number of cents that are left in rolls or loose or whatever and multiple that times $0.045 to come up with the wholesale value of a 1909-1958 circulated set of cents. So if there are 7450 cents in rolls, then 7450 x 0.045 = $335. This is a rough formula to use when looking at large collections of wheats. Less value if condition is low and lots of culls, more if there are over 15% pre-1940 coins, etc. It's a starting point though to give you an idea of wholesale value. You can save a lot of time by selling of coins this way, or you can do as recommended above and sell individual rolls and get a bit more out of them at the risk of spending the next month packaging and shipping rolls. People do it different ways and both are readily examined on eBay for ways to sell cents.

Personally I wholesale off the large bags of cents I've gone through for the most part in minimum 1000 coin bags (shipping is too expensive for lower number of coin bag lots and eats into actual money in pocket too much). It is not uncommon for me to mail a medium flat rate box weighing 50 pounds for $13 postage. I don't get as much as I could for the cents, but I do not have time to sell off that number of coins in any other way or it would be all I did all day. Sometimes I am working on particular dates and end up with a lot of say 1929-S cents or 1943 cents. Generally if you have a lot of one year you will do better keeping it together than selling the coins as a mix (just a tip there). Another tip would be not to end up selling off all your older stuff and just ending up with cents from the 50s as you will have trouble finding a buyer for those at any price unless they are in AU or better condition.

When I am searching wheats I generally do 500-700 a day, which is why I am pretty experienced with selling off big numbers of the things. Two weeks ago I switched mostly to searching the B/U memorial rolls I've been buying so sold off all my searched wheats at once and mailed a 56 pound box of them to a single bulk buyer. Saved me tons of time and they are out the door and got back close to what I paid for them.

As for the rolls of BIE, rare dates, and all that stuff, well that's a different thing. The more you can verify what's what the more you can get for it, but there are way too many types of things that may be in the collection for any kind of real answer. I will say that I wholesale bulk unattributed RPMs for $0.35 each and bulk BIE coins for $0.20 each. If I take the time to put attributes on things then I either add them to my collection if I need them or might sell them on eBay. However, selling a $5 nice RPM on eBay is a 15 minute process between photographing the coin and then photographing it again under the scope to show the variety and die markers and then creating the listing... plus the time to package and mail the thing if it sells. It is not a good way to make money nor generally a good way to spend your time. I do it because I am always looking for some variety that no one has for sale, so I make a point of putting up low value varieties now and again so that other collectors have some way of finding one. And finally, while there is no established wholesale value on variety collections, I have bought a number of them at auction and generally no one will go over about 80 cents per coin. And those are collections from folks where the attributes can be expected to be correct. And few are perfect so some of them won't be correct. The last collection I bought had a 1946-S inverted S labeled and well, it wasn't one. It goes like that, so even a fully attributed collection will require many of hours of my time to verify all the coins.

Anyway, that is sorta the scoop on Lincoln bulk sales, something I have experience with because I search over 150,000 per year and have to buy and sell them off along the way. As noted, rare coins either by mintage, condition, variety, or whatever are a whole different thing and really need addressed one coin at a time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1950 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually just saw the pics come up in this thread. Make sure to check those 1956 D/D RPM-001 coins for a BIE. They have a nice premium as is but it skyrockets if you've got one with the BIE on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2568 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are such a thing as unsearched Wheat cent roll, but be sure that the dealers almost always open them themselves. How do I know? I was once in a coin shop, and while there the dealer bought 20 rolls of wheats from a very old woman. He opened two of the rolls, but didnt bother to open the other 18, he then promptly sold all 20 to me for 4 cents a wheat. I opened them up as soon as I got home and found 3 mint state 1917 p wheats inside. Those were true unsearched rolls. I sometimes buy bags of wheats wholesale from dealers and don't bother to check them since I don't always have the time (and figure they've already been picked through by the dealer), I sell them on eBay as "unsearched by me" and am always sure to state that I bought them wholesale. Generally, if your buying unsearched bags or rolls on eBay, thats the best you can hope to find, whole sale lots that have been bought from other dealers.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the help , and to tropicalbats the two pics of the 56-d in the 2x2 are the same coin its (bie) ,and to all my mom lives away from me so I can't get any more pics till this weekend , i'll try to take pics of all she has ,but not one coin at a time ,like all the rolls ,2x2 boxes ,books full ,and she said there's a 22 plan there too I will take pics of it.if you look at the 1960-d the first pic is it the lg.date over the small? i'll start a new post when I get the pics (she can't take pics ) has the old instant camera
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you thought about going to an area coin club or two? Members can typically submit coins to a club auction for a very modest fee, if any.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7585 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we would all be interested in having a crack at these. Might save eBay fees.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2759 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about those silver. However, I still believed she had made the right choice (to invest in her kids' futures vs silver future).
Can't wait to see what else you parents had saved.
Best wishes to your mom.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so got some more pics , will have to get them off my phone,she has 133 rolls mixed years , and some were around 7,000 pennies in all with rolls,books,2x2. will start a new post this week with pics
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05