Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Official 'It Came Back' Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2018  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I think I can see where the hole has been patched up on the doctored example. Take a look at this image I made. Can you see the area where it looks like the hole has been patched? on the reverse? I've outlined it in green.

Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
2852 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2018  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1862 vf-30 Seated dollar sold by stacks bowers on 8/3/2017 for $1,645. https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...view/3-7WH2K

Sold on eBay on 4/18 for $2,750.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1862-1-Lib...132448426921
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7144 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2018  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice flip.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay item 142845611807 -- 1915 Panama Pacific $2.50 Gold, PCGS AU Details (certification 34951803)

BIN on eBay for $1452.30, sold at Heritage on Apr 29, 2018 for $900

Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7540 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a couple coins that I was thinking about purchasing "disappear" and reappear on someone else website...then I normally get it at a slight discount than what the previous dealer was trying to sell it for. I hope my good fortune continues on a particular Seated dime that I overlooked previously.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few months ago there were several groups of PCGS graded UNC Carson City Morgan dollars on eBay. Each group contained several coins and ... if I recall correctly ... they sold for several thousands per group. I recall a group of 1890 CC with grades of MS64 and a distinct lineage (making them easy to spot). I was watching them, but just couldn't pull the trigger. They sold at a very good price. About a month after they sold, I happened to be looking for a O/CC and I found one I liked at Liberty Coin. While looking through their inventory ... I noticed the same 1890 CC Morgan dollars. I went back to my Watched Items at eBay and found many of those coins ended up at Liberty Coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay item 323344072062 -- 1934-S Peace dollar AU58 PCGS (certification 21861182)

BIN on eBay for $1265, sold at Stack's Bowers on June 21, 2018 for $900 (40% markup)

Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are people really surprised that dealers including big name ones get inventory from auctions and eBay?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not, but the markups are eye-opening until you consider the overhead of their own buyer's fees and other costs associated with acquiring their inventory this way. I haven't bought anything from any of the high-end auction houses because it always felt like more trouble than it was worth (confusing UI, live/offline-only auctions, high fees, etc.) But I'm having second thoughts about that lately.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not, but the markups are eye-opening until you consider the overhead of their own buyer's fees and other costs associated with acquiring their inventory this way. I haven't bought anything from any of the high-end auction houses because it always felt like more trouble than it was worth (confusing UI, live/offline-only auctions, high fees, etc.) But I'm having second thoughts about that lately.

Things sell underpriced on all venues from time to time. Some venues more than others like the secondary auction houses where you get creamed a lot selling (Ha, Stacks, Legend are first tier, David Lawerence isn't far off).

Free shipping is never free, and the higher sites raise their fees ultimately the more buyers have to absorb at least some of it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2852 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are people really surprised that dealers including big name ones get inventory from auctions and eBay?

I was surprised at how much flipping goes on with Seated dollars. That's why I created this thread. I suspect many newbees don't really put much thought into it. I think it's an important thread and also important for all collectors to know that in many cases at auctions, you are bidding against both large and small dealers.

It's good that they are providing liquidity to the coin market, but at what % is the more intriguing question that will likely never be answered.

I can track toned Seated dollars fairly easily, the blast white market acceptable ones, not so much. So trying to track a rare coin type is still extremely challenging.

I've been falling behind with sld updates for this thread. I can think of 5 Seated dollars I need to add. One of which a CCF member gave a long-term home to.
If anything, I think it makes for an educational thread and a good read.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was surprised at how much flipping goes on with Seated dollars. That's why I created this thread.

That's not unique to SLD. That happens with all series. Most consignors don't know the proper timing or don't have the pull to get reserves from auctions ect. You can't automatically buy something in auction and flip it, and many of the attempted flips do lose money because people think flipping and the crack out game is as easy as the internet makes it sound.

But yea across all series there are things that sell undervalue and you are ALWAYS bidding against dealers as well as collectors. The only time you aren't bidding against dealers online is if they didn't want it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2852 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and many of the attempted flips do lose money because people think flipping and the crack out game is as easy as the internet makes it sound.

Definitely not the case anymore. TPG's are tightening their standards and suffering because of it. Have you taken a look CLCT's stack price lately?

Yet I agree there are still guys out there who think the crackout game is a winning strategy. I think if CLTC and NGC can hold out for another year with out going bankrupt, this section of speculators will give up on the strategy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely not the case anymore.

It's never been easy or automatic. I know thread posts on various sites make it sound that way but it never has been. A lot of the times information such as that is posted from people who have never tried or never consistently tried.

Overall its a losing proposition to crack and hope it upgrades unless you are a very very good grader.

Quote:
Have you taken a look CLCT's stack price lately?

That's a completely separate conversation in all honesty.

Their stock crashed because the the dividend was cut in half after getting a new CEO. Many hedge funds had the stock previously for the VERY strong dividend it had. Probably to strong in all honesty but instead of stepping it down they just hacked it all at once and the hedge funds all sold their shares and it tanked.

Quote:
I think if CLTC and NGC can hold out for another year with out going bankrupt

Neither of them are remotely close to bankruptcy nor are either of them anywhere close to shutting the doors. They aren't in survival or hold out mode at all. ICG is doing record numbers for themselves too as a side note. There's only one they may be in trouble in the foreseeable future and it isn't one that has been named
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I Guess the CAC attempt or the crossover attempt didn't pan out: https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dol...ions-080216#

Or Heritage bought it. No one in their right mind would try and cross that to NGC so cross over is unlikely.

Very bad form posting coins in active auctions. Lots of people do it to try and talk the price down on something they want
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.13 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05