Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Obverse 48 - The Winner! A Little March Madness For 59ers.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2018  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Until recently, we thought the 1859 Obverse 45a was the reverse die pair king with 11 .

But, there is a new winner now with 12! The discovery that Obverse 48 and Obverse 57 are the same led to combining the two in the Haxby 1859 Catalog, and the 9 reverses that were part of the Obverse 57 group have been added to the previous 3 from the Obverse 48 group.

So all of you 1859 collectors can look forward to a little March madness as you renumber your die pairs. All of the information is in the latest News Page update in the Haxby catalog.

Have fun!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1465 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Phil310
Reprinted my pages --but it was strange to find that I had only 1 coin that was affected and I had a question mark on it and now its solved.
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the 1858 obverse dies was mated with eleven reverse dies. I estimate that obverse die minted more than 250,000 coins.
Edited by bosox
03/25/2018 12:26 am
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd forgotten about that, Rob. The variation in the outturn from dies for both the Provincial cents is quite remarkable. Of course, that was before the scientific studies that identified the contaminants that significantly shortened die life.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05