Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960p lmc with long die break across the date!?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1982pennyid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Let me know if I need better pictures? What if could be?

Edited by 1982pennyid
04/14/2018 4:40 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1982pennyid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a better picture.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14259 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks more like a scratch rather than a die crack.

Is it raised above the field?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6567 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure does look like a scratch, but if so is a little unusual in that it starts our straight and even cuts across a couple numbers before skidding up above the 0 and ending on the rim. I agree the key will be to understand if this linear region sits proud or inset below the field.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1982pennyid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does feel raised with no inset. How would I capture this in a picture?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6567 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take a super-close up photo of just the date area showing the entire length of it? When I blow up your current pic, it gets too pixelated to see enough detail.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4342 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell if it's a scratch or something else. Much better pictures will be needed. A good closeup would be great.
Errors And Varietys.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1982pennyid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

hope this helps

Edited by 1982pennyid
04/14/2018 5:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28300 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a clash mark from the roof on that area.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6567 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, certainly the part to the left of the date is a good match, but what about the continuation of this that goes through or over the last three digits of the date and then to the rim?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1552 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, cracks often form on the corner of the memorial, so maybe a crack formed from the corner of the impression of the memorial?
If my metal detector detects a metal medal, does it not, at that point, become a metal detector, a medal detector, and a metal medal detector?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6567 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a die clash of a die crack--is that even a thing? There has got to be a simpler explanation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28300 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the die crack swoops upwards. So clash mark and a die crack. The crack may have happened during the clash?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1982pennyid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So uncommon mint error?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05