Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-S LMC DDO-002 - Am I Seeing Things?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  03:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through some old rolls I formerly put back to check for condition and possible grading and after sorting by grade while checking for noticeable DDs by eye I decided to get the scope out and check Variety Vista:

Am I seeing things? Let us see what the experts here say since I am new at varieties and errors.

Description: Light spread on LIB of LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, and 70 of date.

Comments: Obverse is ODV-025 (Large date).

Kindly let me know what you think it is greatly appreciated.
Edited by FrankenCoin
04/15/2018 03:58 am
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 76electrician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im no expert yet bit I see Doubling on S .not to sure on LIB....
Possibly on Date..
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @76electrician

Quote:
Im no expert yet bit I see Doubling on S .not to sure on LIB....
Possibly on Date..

I have been over Variety Vista Photographs of this coin for some time and all sections in Variety Vista {1970S DDO-002) - the doubling is very subtle even on the O at vista but the many tell(s) are the spread on L IB - and IN GOD WE TRUST, very subtle must see pictures on variety vista
Edited by FrankenCoin
04/15/2018 05:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21918 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks MD to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks every one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4768 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD on at least one of the two coins you posted.
2016 Objective - to establish a system to organize and catalog my expanding nickel and cent collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28269 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...0SDDO002.htm
Note the mint mark location on the coin and the one on the site. When they are in different locations, then they are not that dies examples of a doubled die. They are from different dies.

I agree I see machine doubling on the date and mint mark in the same direction, so that is not a RPM.

So you have a 1970-S Large date cent. (common) The 1968-1972 cents have a lot of machine doubling issues those years.

This MD is caused after the strike, when the die shifts a bit damaging the devices. Altered by the machine. This happens to normal and doubled die coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FrankenCoin;
On your first date photo it shows MD on the "0" of the date and the mint mark.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thank you @coop I was referencing the DDO-002 with lower Center mint mark and did not post the link by mistake.

Quote:
http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20...0SDDO002.htm
Note the mint mark location on the coin and the one on the site. When they are in different locations, then they are not that dies examples of a doubled die. They are from different dies.

I agree I see machine doubling on the date and mint mark in the same direction, so that is not a RPM.

In this batch I believe I have also ran across several RPMs S/SW and will post pictures in another post title dedicated to RPMs.

Thanks every one for you thoughts and opinions.
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coppergold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint damage for sure.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05