Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please help ID Chinese cash -- IDENTIFIED

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
6.34 g, 28.6 mm, seal script, previously attributed to Tang dynasty (618-907 AD) but this could well be wrong - haven't been able to match to any coins in my books or online

Any help will be appreciated.
Edited by Seeker55
04/15/2018 4:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tried Calgary coin?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"
Abraham Lincoln
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the suggestion. They do have an excellent large section on identifying Chinese coins, and I looked through it, but still haven't been able to match this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a quick look there as well and didn't see it.
ANA member no. 3183942 since 2010.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your help.
You inspired me to do some more searching on Zeno and I had to keep broadening the weight limits. Finally found a match at https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=147047

Southern Song, Qian-dao (1165-1173) AE 2 wen, seal style

I'm going to call this one IDENTIFIED.

Thanks again for your support with this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so common as the Ch'ing Dynasty cash coins that are seemingly ubiquitous. May I ask where a specimen such as this turned up?

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm happy to be able to identify it, and that it's an unusual coin, in nice condition. To me it's quite interesting to imagine the times and places and people who used the coins. I'm sorry, I can't be very sure where it came from. A few years ago I was an active member of the Albuquerque Coin Club and purchased a couple of very small collections, as well as some odds & ends including unattributed Chinese cash coins at the semiannual coin shows, so it most likely comes from one of those sources.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05