Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK coin and token ? Identification please  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wasssup007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, my son and I are new to metal detecting and are reqally enjoying it so far! We found our first artifact today being a post medieval bell in excellent condition #128515;.

I have uploaded photos of a coin and token? we would like help identifying please.

Both are copper alloy, the small coin seemed to have some sort of gold plating that came off with cleaning. The token is uncleaned.

Coin dia approx 14mm, the token 19mm has many facets around the outside but only a crown and feathers on one side with a hole in the middle.

Sorry about the iPhone pictures. Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1738 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

We would love to help you, but you really need to supply pictures that are in focus, cropped (free cropping tool on the site) and give us the weight, diameter, and thickness to make the job easier.

That being said, the blob on one side is making me think button, not coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6535 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wasssup007, first welcome to you (and your son) to CCF. Second, I'm trying to figure out your pics. The first one seems to have come from the cleaned coin and the remaining three are from the uncleaned coin. Is that right? If so, can you please post a pic of the other side of the cleaned coin?

These pics are pretty tough to interpret. I think that more light (and better focus) would be most helpful. I wouldn't recommend cleaning the other coin though--this tends to decrease the value of coins. I do note that it seems quite thick and perhaps is not a coin, but rather a weight or something else. I do see the crown and fleur-de-lis on the one side. Again, better pics would be a huge help! Thx.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wasssup007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully these photos are better. Rear of shiny coin has no decerning detail that is why it was omitted.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2716 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
Australia
12782 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one is not a coin or token, but a button. The central nodule is where the button loop used to be attached.

I am not entirely certain about the second one but it appears to be a weight of some sort. Perhaps a coin weight; with the fleur-de-lys stamped on it, perhaps it is intended to weigh the same as a specific French coin. How much does it weigh?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe 'Sap' is correct when he says the second token appears to be a coin weight.This link describes it in more detail:-
https://finds.org.uk/database/artef...rd/id/837756

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wasssup007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much to all, the medieval weight is most interesting. This one seems to have been intended for ‘gold nobles’.
Learn More...
United States
54815 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05