Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In Tempestate Securitas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HistoryLover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I'm new here but I need a bit of help with a coin that I own. I have this coin, it seems really old. Everything on it is engraved and it is of gold material. I have no clue when it was made or anything like that. Would any of you know its value? I'm a bit stumped. Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24102 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I do not think it is a coin. Seems like a medal of some sort. Give it a bit and more members will chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5190 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a religious medal to be sure.

Obverse is Saint George slaying the dragon

Reverse refers to the bible story in Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25 in which Jesus and his disciples were crossing the Sea of Galilee when a storm struck the boat. Jesus was taking a nap, and had to be woken by his disciples - he reprimanded them for their lack of faith, and calmed the storm instantly.

I can find a lot of similar medals online, but not a match. Based on the engraver's signature, I would guess late 19th or early 20th century?
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
61648 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2134 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is commonly known as the Seaman's medal, although yours varies from the norm quite a lot.
Obverse:
St. George, mounted, slaying dragon
Around which you would usually find:
St. GEORGIUS EQUITUM PATRONUS
(St. George Patron Saint of Knights)
Reverse:
The story of Christ calming the waters.
Mark IV, 37-41
A storm tossed ship containing a sleeping Christ
and two frightened Apostles
Around which:
INTEMPESTATE SECURITAS
(Safety in the storm)
You can read all sorts of nonsense about these on eBay. Here's the true story:
The obverse comes from a coin called a Mansfeld thaler. First minted in 1521, it was commissioned by a
Count vonMansfeld and honoured his family's patron saint. The von Mansfeld family trade was warfare and his symbol was adopted for luck by his mercenary troops.
Skipping forward a century or so and the thaler had been replaced by a charm or amulet bearing St George but now with the addition of Christ on the reverse.
This design is generally credited to a Hungarian engraver, Christian Hermann Roth and, with modifications, has been in continuous production ever since.

Yours is the first that I've seen without the St Georgius and most certainly the first signed piece. Sadly I can't make out the signature.
The weight and diameter would also be interesting.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5230 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8467 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be the French sculptor Raymond Tschudin. Not his usual signature, but the letters seem to match pretty well.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HistoryLover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all of your replies! It weighs 4.5 grams and has a diameter of 4.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05