Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What pre Norman coin would this be?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Netherlands
41 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stonewall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rdwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks Venetian, first picture shows the lion of St Mark.
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a coin of Venice. Reading the doge's name will be difficult.
Netherlands
41 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stonewall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for letting me know it is from Venice. would it be impossible to find out the dolce name?
This denomination would be a Soldino or given that it was found in england a Galley Halfpence?
giving the state of the coin what would be considered its value?
Edited by stonewall
04/16/2018 4:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8215 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stonewall, I agree with the others that your coin is Venetian. More specifically, it is a Soldino--it should be about 15 mm or 16 mm in diameter and weigh about 0.5 g (intact, perhaps a little less since yours has some rim damage). The Venetian Doges seem to have used three different types of lions: rampant, nimbate, and winged ("in moleca" in Italian). Here is a list of all the Venetian Doges who minted Soldinos with winged lions:

Andrea Contarini (1368-1382 AD)
Michele Morosini (1382 AD)
Antonio Venier (1382-1400 AD)
Michele Steno (1400-1413 AD)
Tomoaso Mocenigo (1413-1423 AD)
Francesco Foscari (1423-1457 AD)
Cristoforo Moro (1462-1471 AD)

Of this much I am sure: your coin dates to between the late 14th and late 15th Century. In looking at the inscription on the rev (the lion side), you can see enough letters to recognize S.MARCVS VENETI. Unfortunately, this is the same for all of these coins. The inscription that we really want to read is from about 1 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the obv and that is virtually illegible. I do note that to the right of the Doge are the mintmaster marks. In your case a star over a lower case R. In looking in Biaggi and the interwebs, I can only find one of these coins that has this specific combination: Michele Steno. I do note that the pics from Biaggi are pretty rough and not every coin is even pictured anywhere on the net. Therefore, my best guess is that your coin dates to between 1400 and 1413 AD and was minted under the authority of the 63rd Doge: Michele Steno. I would attribute it as Biaggi #2860. The obv inscription should read +MIChAEL.STEN'DVX. If I squint, the last two letters before the dot at about 5 o'clock certainly could be E and L. Then, at about 7:30 when the inscription picks up again, the first letter really looks like an S. This certainly could be our match...I'm only about 90% sure about this--it seems as though several other mintmaster marks were also used by Steno, including a star over a C and a star over some weird button-hook thing.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
04/16/2018 9:43 pm
Netherlands
41 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stonewall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your help
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05