Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Birthday Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add VictoryHighway to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Group,
I just got a bunch of $2 notes at a local bank over the weekend, and I'm just now getting around to cataloging them. I just came across one that might be considered a birthday note. The serial number is D00731985A.

Would this note qualify as a birthday note (7/3/1985)?

Regards,
Geoffrey
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call. I think that 07-03-1985 would be better, but if that date matched my birthday or anniversary -- I'd keep it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..... with Buddy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30182 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole "how can we make these numbers into some sort of birthday" deal is just silly to me. Does anyone actually BUY birthday notes?
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VictoryHighway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really know, but I got this one for face, so I guess I'll keep it, even though the date is not significant to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one with my home town zip code so silly does have it's place
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only is it a stretch to manufacture something out of that serial, it's got condition issues. Personally I'd spend it or put it in a card or stocking.

Obviously I'm in the same camp as Coinfrog when it comes to gimmicky serials but if it tickles your fancy, by all means, keep it. It's only $2 and if it makes you happy, that's what counts.

Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The whole "how can we make these numbers into some sort of birthday" deal is just silly to me.

It's not silly -- it's apophenia. Currently, no medication is available.

I know someone who once bought a note with his sister's birthday on it -- said it was the first present he's given her in over a decade. If the price was right, I'd probably do the same. Can't explain it. It's just fun for me to look for those patterns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the price was right, I'd probably do the same. Can't explain it. It's just fun for me to look for those patterns.

I feel the same way. I'm certainly not willing to put big money into it, but if I found a note with my birthday, a family member's or friend's, or another significant date, I'd certainly keep it or perhaps offer someone a little over face for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one of the things that makes this hobby fun. You collect what appeals to you.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/16/2018 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1528 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will readily admit, my vanity got the best of me when I purchased this note. I'm not really sure what the Boca Raton Run was all about. Most of the notes I see with this pedigree are low serial numbers on $1 2006 F-I block notes. I bought this maybe 4-5 years ago. This is a Birth Year note as compared to a Birthday note. Much easier to find a birth year note.

I would not technically consider the OP's note a Birthday note, but if you like it, keep it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Much easier to find a birth year note.

Yes, if you're just looking for a number containing the year, but it would still be pretty rare if you want something like yours in which all other digits are 0. Nice note, by the way.
Germany
46 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2018  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add American Abroad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A birthyear note in my opinion can only be like the following 19830000 00001983, 01983000, 00198300, 00019830, and real birthday notes are MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY. I think only these type of notes will enjoy a large premium. The OP's note can technically be considered a birthday note (I don't consider it one), but if it was my birthdate I would probably buy it and be willing to pay a small premium. We need a term for these kind of notes that aren't true birthday notes.
Edited by American Abroad
04/20/2018 07:33 am
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Birthday note for November 2, 2011 would be a keeper!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose it would be a radar. It's also my paternal grandfather's 77th birthday.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05