Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 D Jefferson Nickel Double Denomination?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,691Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome vietguy823! Let's know what happens and please update this thread. Good to you and I wish you the best! :-)
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG, that dealer offered you a "fair" dealer price, 20% below greysheet(standard). He will after paying $80 fees, turn around and sell it for 15-30% ABOVE greysheet to his customers. In MS67+, you could get $5000+ for it at certain auction sites. So think about it before you take the money and run.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks alot for sharing that Copper Nickel Coop. That is a beauty one that you have too. Guess, I will get it slabbed and hold on to it. No need to get rid of it now unless very strap on financial later on down the road. But $1500 is very attempting lol. Again, thanks alot guys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9290 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get it slabbed and sell it yourself. You'll get more. Just my opinion.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17164 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checking through Heritage past sales of nickels struck on previously struck cents only turns up about two pieces that have sold for over $1500 and those were ten or eleven years ago. Most examples sold in the past few years have been in the $800 to $1200 range. Now they weren't 2001's the closest were a couple of 2000's that sold for $1.150 each. And those prices are withthe buyers premium. I think I would take the $1,500 and run.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to bring back the old thread guys. I just took a picture with a better camera than the original one (testing out new camera) and there is the toning. Let me know how is the toning guy? Good or Bad? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it has excellent toning! I love it! I think it looks great! It's pretty attractive in my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47852 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What concerns me on this one is the mint mark? Cent shows no mint mark, nickel shows a D mint mark? That bothers me on this one. Maybe the cent mint mark is there and I'm not seeing it?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, maybe the the 2001 cent was from Philadelphia (At the time on Lincoln Cents, no mint mark meant that it was from Philadelphia).
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@E&V thanks alot for your comments.
@Coop. That also bothers me too. I been trying to figure out why there wasn't a D mintmark on the cent. I couldn't see it with a 20X Magnify. Maybe, it's not there? Then, how can the cent from Philadelphia Mint got into the Denver Mint?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1805 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then, how can the cent from Philadelphia Mint get into the Denver Mint?

Mint employee assisted error would be my guess. Even if true it still considered an error and can be slabbed & graded I believe.
Edited by jasper62
06/27/2018 7:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're very welcome and no problem! I love to help in any way I can. I think it might be a Mint Assisted error as jasper62 said, but still very cool and collectable nonetheless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1805 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the closest one (Date wise) I could find on eBay. Personally if someone offered me 16 One hundred dollar bills I would take it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-D-PCG...AOSwCp5awD41
Edited by jasper62
06/27/2018 7:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietguy823 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Jasper62 for the comments and the link. The one on eBay does show the "D" Mintmark on the cent. I do agreed with you "Mint Assisted Error". I searched through Heritage, Great Collection, and Stack's Bowers past auction, but didn't find any that came from 2 different Mint, only difference year.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47852 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the ERCA on shoulder and memorial on the bust strikes me ac odd? It seems like some items were added from a soft die on a legitimate off metal coin. Seems like a doubled strike would have erased these on the second strike? Just seems strange to me.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/28/2018 08:37 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,691Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05