Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interested in buying 1883 Morgan and 1875 S Twenty Cent Piece - thoughts?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PegenWaukegan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1883 Morgan and 1875 S Twenty Cent piece on eBay, and they are both at a good price as of now. As I have had some bad experiences with buying coins from eBay in the past, I wanted to ask for your thoughts before attempting to win these two coins.

Tell me what you think! Above all, I want to make sure that they are not cleaned.

Edited by PegenWaukegan
05/15/2018 12:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It very difficult to detect cleaning from the photos. The Morgan is MS but I canít be sure if itís problem free from the photos. The 20 Cent piece has an unusual wear pattern and color that is suspicious for Artificial Toning. Iíd pass on the 20 Cent piece and bid low on the Morgan (half of CDN grey sheet bid).
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first reaction:
"Err, that's disappointing".

The condition of the Twenty Cent is disappointing enough, that you will never be completely satisfied with it, and you will most probably end up giving it the flip. Believe me, I have been through this sort of experience, and I have sold very few coins in the last 50 years.

And I am not a stickler for best condition, usually motivated by 'best condition for money' and perhaps accept lower grade. I am still looking for an acceptable Double Dime, this one isn't.

Morgan OK, man2004 advice OK.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4941 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

In my opinion, you should not bid on either coin.

In the case of the Morgan dollar, notice how it's impossible to see anything on the top of the coin, where it has been photographed with too much light? There might be scratches and bag marks "hiding" in that area, You can't see half of the coin. I wouldn't bid on it. Instead, bit on a TPG certified example that has clear photos.
As for the 20 cent piece, I don't like its condition. The brown toning around the rim detracts from the eye appeal, and the coin is in heavily circulated condition. I would recommend you bid on a higher-grade example.

Remember - post pictures of coins you want to bid on here, so you can get some advice from CCF members
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
7523 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am waiting to see the "1975-S" Twenty Cent Piece! (sarcasm)

I would definitely pass on that 1875-S 20C, the digs and rim dings are too distracting for me. The Morgan dollar looks ok, but I insist on Third Party Certification (PCGS, NGC and or ANACS, in that order) on my coins.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Pillar of the Community
United States
5386 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the Morgan:

Quote:
There might be scratches and bag marks "hiding" in that area, You can't see half of the coin. I wouldn't bid on it. Instead, bit on a TPG certified example that has clear photos.

Or save some money - ask for more pics and explain why.

And/or see what their return policy is.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the Morgan purchase a 1883 in MS 64 PCGS or NGC as you can find one from $65 to $80. You can find a real nice one if you hunt for it.

The 1875 s is not orginal and looks like it had an old cleaning.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PegenWaukegan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Glad I posted here first before bidding.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest bid on them and if you win then take a look at them in hand. If you do not like them then you can return them. Pictures are sometimes hard to tell what a coin will actually look like until you see it in person. I have posted quite a few coins for grades and comments and almost every single coin has been given a detail/cleaned from people giving their opinion, although many have straight graded. It could be from my bad picture taking or could just be what people see from the pictures.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PegenWaukegan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another coin that I'm interested in that I would like feedback on. It is a 1795 Flowing Hair Large Cent, and I'm wondering if it is too corroded/damaged to be worth anything. What are your thoughts on this coin?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would definitely pass on that 1875-S 20C, the digs and rim dings are too distracting for me. The Morgan dollar looks ok, but I insist on Third Party Certification (PCGS, NGC and or ANACS, in that order) on my coins.

Pass on both, you can find better without all the unknowns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious what others think about the 1795. Seems clear that it was in the ground for a couple hundred years, so I start thinking it was deliberately rubbed to bring out and/or recreate features.
I tried switching it to black and white for fun. Perhaps it helps you see what I mean.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05