Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is a good age to introduce kids to coin collecting?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
37 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple of kids and some nieces/nephews who are all still very young. At some point I would like to start giving them some coins to potentially spark their interest in the hobby. What age would you suggest is ideal to start?
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience has been there isnít a particular age, it is if and when they discover an interest in their own way so something in this hobby is interesting to them. It might be the history, it might be the thrill of the chase, might be sharing the experience of CRH, might be the capitalism of trading and acquiring other things. I think just letting them discover their own niche is the way itís going to happen.

My 8 year old son has shown little interest beyond its buying power to get a toy. My 6 year old daughter will just ask to see my shark teeth instead. My 4 year old will just spread them around the table, only fascinated in the shine because itís like big pieces of glitter. I was 8/9 when digging through pocket change for bicentennial quarters, wheaties, and ore-1960 nickels became interesting; the family says it was a gene I got from my maternal grandfather because my parents donít get it.
My hoard of '82s is up to 125! 182 x 1, 282 x 1, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 3, 1182 x 7, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 4, 1582 x 9, 1682 x 10, 1782 x 32, 1882 x 33, 1982 x 18
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7909 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
25-35 . For me it didn't work out as planned . Kids grandkids, nephews didn't matter ,they were just not interested .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6956 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could start 'em teething on a silver dollar.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started at about 6, when my grandpa gave me a Lincoln Wheat album and we went through his pennies to fill it up.
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter last year, she was 4 1/2.

Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting at age 9. No one introduced me; I remember browsing the US Mint website for some reason that is lost to history. I asked my parents to get me one of the commemorative coins on their shop, and well, I guess that's how it all started.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter learned to read dates by coins. As early as possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2018 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started my granddaughter at 7. She loved doing puzzles, so I purchased the US coin map for state quarters. I gave her the state quarters from circulation and let her fill the holes. She called it a coin puzzle.
Valued Member
Netherlands
72 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qxy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter is now 5 years old. I haven't started her on coins, but she does have a (very) limited collection of elongated (souvenir) pennies. Whenever we're somewhere with one of those machines, she gets another addition to her collection. The only problem is that there's very few of those machines around, while she'd like to add something to her collection with a bit more regularity...

I don't have enough posts yet, but once I can post in the trade forum I'll start with a 'anything from this jar for some souvenir pennies', maybe then her collection will start growing a bit quicker. :)
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 13 grandkids from 1 to 20 years old. They're all getting a proof set from the year of their birth (thank God I've only got one born in 2012) for Christmas.

I'm guessing the ones from 6 to 12 are the ones with the most potential, but you never know.

I've been saving all the state and ATB Quarters that are in good shape and plan on having a couple of folders ready in case any of them show an interest in collecting. They'll also be welcome to a few Whitman and Dansco folders for cents and nickels that they can complete that I've had sitting on a shelf for quite a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2037 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great picture shotgung! One thing is for sure, these kids don't need a Magnifying glass! I'm sitting here thinking, how many times over the years have I handed a coin to my kids/grand kids and asked them "what's the date on this coin" because I couldn't see it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1413 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

agreed!
Learn More...
United States
56002 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pillar of the Community
United States
3334 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was roll hunting when my kids were young, single-digit age. They both would help dad and were good at picking out silver and wheats. My boy lost interest when he received an Iphone about age 10. Same with my daughter.
Today, my boy is a teen and works the till at Taco Bell. Since September, heís brought home almost 20 wheats, 2 buffalos, and 4 silver dimes. Heís not interested in coins, but keeps his eyes peeled to help dad.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7909 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still working on my 5 year old granddaughter ,but those darn video games keep getting in the way . She kicks butt at it but I would rather see her interested in coins .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05