Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 Wheat Penny Found In Br. Helps To Tell Me How It Look

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2018  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is another one I got from the Bank Rolls. 100 years+ with this condition not bad at all right. Please grade..Learn ..learn and learn this is Me...

There is any DD over here at all guys?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Bate
05/23/2018 04:40 am
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm saying VF-30
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46142 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 details (multiple rim nicks).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new for this coin hunting. Thanks a lot guys. There is a link to see what is the code for this grade you both talking about? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
8378 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
technically its an XF40 IMO, however, it has been banged around quite a bit so that will affect its value at least 1 full grade

VF=very fine
XF= extra fine

the numerical grade goes from 01 to 100. 100 being pristine from the mint. this grade determines the coins value
retail coin valuations can found at

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mr. Panzaldi for your informations
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16337 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AWESOME FIND!!

Some hard rim knocks, it's showing it's age but still a miracle to find a coin this old and in decent grade. The reverse holds it back from a VF-35 and too much wear to make EF IMO.

VF-30

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6220 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a link to see what is the code for this grade you both talking about?

Grading takes a lot of study and a lot of asking questions.

The "code" being used is one that is used by third party grading systems (TPGs) like ANACs, NGC, and PCGS. Google PCGS photo grade and you can find where they have pictures of varying examples of the grades as they assign them.

You can also find youtube videos of TPG seminars given for how they grade.

As the internet made more availability of coins for everyone, slabbed coins became more popular since people tend to perceive an "expert" opinion to be important.

While TPGs have claimed they have attempted to make a standard for the hobby, at the same time they will tell you grading is subjective and not a science. And... the three main companies do not all grade the same way! Some people will deliberately break a coin out from one company b/c the other company's system is known to give a higher grade on that coin!

In other words, if a coin is submitted and slabbed/graded, once broken out it can never be guaranteed of the same grade again - even if submitted to the same grading company. And yet just one grade point can sometimes mean a difference in thousands of dollars of perceived value.

Sometimes people will keep submitting a coin that they think is close to a higher grade until it comes back at the higher level they wanted.

Unfortunately newbies sometimes infer the idea that every good coin NEEDS to be slabbed as a natural process of the hobby. Remember, TPGs are just an optional service if you desire to use them. They are a business who helps educate the hobby, but they also are in the business to make money. There are all sorts of ways they do this with special labels, inciting competition to buy higher graded coins by making registry sets on their sites, etc. Some people enjoy this as part of the fun of the hobby.

If a good coin is being sold, slabbing will bring in a better profit.

All of the above info is why you will see it said over and over on this forum, "Buy the coin, not the slab."

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4980 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to thanks Earle42 for the infor. Appreciate it and btw thanks every to chip in for the grading . I have fun to learn a new thing every day.
Edited by Bate
05/24/2018 10:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30 with rim dings and multiple hits. Cool coin to find in roll hunting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ilikeabecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good site for helping to learn to grade coins.
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bate, there are guidelines that are used for grading each series of coins. It's helpful to learn where the high points are on any given coin to know where it is most likely to receive wear first.

If you are into books, go to Amazon and type in "coin grading." I've found The Official ANA Grading Standards to be helpful, along with The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, which is put out by PCGS. The David Bowers book on grading by photographs may be good, but I've never seen that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1936 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for you guys reply.. I will keep learning
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 details
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05