Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cross Grading at ICCS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
166 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Does anyone know whether ICCS will provide a Cross grade of a Canadian coin that is in a PCGS holder without popping the coin out of PCGS holder?

Thanks again for all of your help
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. They will remove it from the holder only at your request.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2332 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Check kuh_85's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They just put the PCGS cert # in the comments section of the ICCS cert.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1415 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example...Cross graded in holder from AU-58 to AU-55

Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the value of an ICCS grading for Canadian coins but given what appears to be a gradual evolution towards PCGS/NGC with their additional features of hard slabs, online lookup, registry opportunities and a larger market acceptance in the US, if you desire a TPG validation of your coin, why would someone want an ICCS cross-grading on a coin already graded and in PCGS/NGC slab? Just curious.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the past, ICCS would attribute "cameo" designations (if applicable) which, at the time, PCGS did not do. ( or not to CDN coins at that time. I'm speaking from experience about 20 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2106 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I understand the value of an ICCS grading for Canadian coins but given what appears to be a gradual evolution towards PCGS/NGC with their additional features of hard slabs, online lookup, registry opportunities and a larger market acceptance in the US, if you desire a TPG validation of your coin, why would someone want an ICCS cross-grading on a coin already graded and in PCGS/NGC slab? Just curious.

Because in Canada they still want ICCS.

In the US, definitely go with PCGS or NGC.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ Especially since there is often commentary that some US TPGs over grade Canadian coins compared to ICCS. Some collectors are skeptical of NGC in particular.
Valued Member
Canada
166 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the great info and thoughts...my reason for wanting this is simply liking the PCGS holder more than the ICCS one, but wanting the conservativity of the ICCS grading opinion...over the years I have seen some wide variances in the grading of the same material with the two companies, with PCGS usually showing as the more higher of the two..would love to hear more if anyone has more thoughts on this...
Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1415 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As usual I'll go ahead and beat the dead horse here....Opinions vary on the topic and for different reasons. I think recent grading practices by ICCS have brought all the TPGs closer together and I suspect in 10 years it won't be an issue. Saying that, I will concede that many coins in high VF to low AU have come out ahead with US TPGs, but the variance is often exaggerated and automatically applied to every coin at every grade which is simply not the case. And certainly not the case with higher grade MS coins. And often ICCS is more generous with MS grades than either NGC or PCGS. There are also many "problem" coins that sit in ICCS holders that would never get a numerical grade by either NGC or PCGS. Grading errors are subject to opinion and are made daily with all TPGs...
Edited by TheCoinHunter
06/15/2018 4:08 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8097 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Well said TCH... sometimes, folks here focus on the grading mistakes and not the overall differences between how ICCS and PCGS/NGC grade.

To err is human, and blatant mistakes can be found in all grading holders.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11053 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

PLENTY of ICCS coins have downgraded at PCGS and NGC.

If someone really wants to see first hand send them raw to all of them. ICCS could be intentionally downgrading crossovers like that in order to appear more conservative. Send it back raw and see what happens.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05