Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 P Saratoga Quarter...doubling or mechanical?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RayneFrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please excuse if I use the wrong terminology. I am brand new to this. I have a 2015 P Saratoga Quarter and I believe some of what I'm seeing is Mechanical Doubling (if that is the right word) but there are some spots that seem to be true doubling...? The front and back of the coin had to be taken with my phone so excuse the quality. But the close ups were taken with a usb microscope. (Cheapie one so I couldn't zoom out enough to get the full coin). Things to look at....the "D" in God, "R" is TRUST, the "M" in UNUM. The "O" in Saratoga. More but thought I would start with these not to overload you. Thoughts?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22622 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like worn die and Machine Doubling.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RayneFrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well dang it. Thank you for your help. :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29902 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both. Machine Doubling and die deterioration, but no hub doubling. The doubling you see on devices towards the rim direction on the raised devices is the die deterioration. The doubling you see on raised devices not towards the rim is Machine Doubling. On the reverse on incuse devices on the outer circle, is enlarging Machine Doubling on these incuse devices. About 70% of the ATB Quarters show this. So what does all this mean? The die is a normal die, not a doubled die. Aging causes the die deterioration. The striking caused the Machine Doubling. But you have an example of all this on one coin. A great educational piece to show to a new collector of what isn't a doubled die. You have the reduction ad enlarging of Machine Doubling. You have distorted devices of die deterioration towards the rim. All on one coin. Kind of like that song: "I've got plenty of nothing, an nothing plenty for me."
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RayneFrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. Might take me a little to remember and be able to spot all of it. But it helped tremendously! I loved the "I've got plenty of nothing..." lol. that was funny. sad but funny haha
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6259 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's Die Deterioration Doubling with Machine Doubling. Your Quarter is only worth face value, since it's not collectable.
Errors And Varietys.
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05