Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861 O Seated Liberty - seeking feedback

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  2:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm more a world crown collector and from time to time I run into US material in offshore auctions. I generally pass but if something looks interesting, I'm not one to shy away. I just learned that I won this seated half for 200GBP. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have this in hand yet but when bidding (my max bid was 220GBP) I saw a coin with very strong detail (better reverse) that was probably cleaned a but not offensively so. Looks like some luster is still present.

Here is a different presentation

Thank you all in advance!
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technical Grade 53. Eye Appeal 5/10.

A very respectable price. I'm not seeing anything indicative of cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5560 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice coin. I donít see evidence for a cleaning. If it was cleaned, it must have been lightly cleaned many years ago. A nice example for a type set or an album.!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
3550 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only downer I see are the black spots.
Otherwise a nice coin.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
carbon spotting like this is indicative of having been cleaned/dipped
surfaces look dull enough that I suspect it was dipped
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28195 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 sharpness, but otherwise agree completely.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/14/2018 5:29 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the feedback.

@Dsfreeworld thank you for teaching me something new. I never realized that the black spots are due to carbon spotting. I do agree with you and think that the coin was dipped. I'll know better once the coin is in hand. However, I am not sure the surfaces are dull. Based on the images, I see ample evidence of luster. I guess I have a bit of an upper hand because I am able to see very high resolution images of this coin and can zoom quite extensively to get a better look at the details.

As for grade, I had it in the AU55 range, assuming of course it straight grades.

I'll know better when the coin is in hand.

In terms of pricing, I believe I paid a details money for it (do correct me if I'm wrong) so if it grades straight, it would be icing on the cake.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16918 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know when you get it if still looks that good.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no worries mate

Like the motto says, education is the key...

post the in-hand pics when you've got it

nice pickup
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2035 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An attractive coin from the New Orleans mint that's also from an important year in American history.
Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone. Once again, thank you for your feedback. The coin finally arrived today and I must say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. Looks like I was accurate in my original assessment, the surfaces are anything but dull. The coin is gently toned, very lustrous (as is evident in my pics below) and quite pleasant to look at. The details are crisp; there isn't much visible evidence of circulation. The fields are clean and without hairlines or distracting dinks. If this coin was dipped it wasn't done foolishly as to damage the coin. The carbon spots are there but not as bothersome as in my original images. I would conservatively grade this coin at AU55 or higher.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1686 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU-55 to me. Weak strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2115 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never realized that the black spots are due to carbon spotting.

The black spots have nothing to do with carbon. Silver coins do not get spots from carbon. Carbon spot is a term that is used to describe black spots but it is misleading. The spots on your coin were caused by sulfur. A more accurate term would be sulfur spots.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8674 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  12:49 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first glance I questioned the authenticity but I believe it is genuine. Still the obverse rim gives me pause as do a few surface characteristics.

The price seems to half of the retail value of an AU53, which is roughly what it would grade. With very high quality counterfeits struck in 90% silver coming out of Chinese "mints" I would consider professional in-hand verification of this piece.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a WB-101, WB-8 variety from the die cracks and date and mm placement. It is a Louisiana issue and has a rarity of R2.. I would grade it AU53.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53
Like you said probably a very old, lightly dipped coin and retoning + luster is nice. Shame re: the spotting.
May be my imagination, but I'm seeing some wipe marks in the right obverse field
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05