Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Got a Catalogue From the U.S. Mint Yesterday. Anybody Buying?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  9:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday a small catalog from the U.S. Mint came in the mail and I've got to say I was shocked by some of the prices.
Some of the silver and gold coins had surcharges of up to $35.00 per coin to be given to various organizations connected to the coins. Even one of the clad coins (breast cancer) had a $5.00 surcharge.
While not saying these organizations aren't worthy of being supported, I feel that being forced to pay the surcharge is not right.
Perhaps a better solution would have been to give you the option to include a donation to the cause with your purchase, which was already expensive.
I wonder what this surcharge will do to the price of the coins a few years down the line when they hit the secondary market.
Oh well, most of the designs didn't interest me anyway, so I'm going to pass.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
I never met a man I didnít like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didnít like - DeputyMax
Edited by DeputyMax
06/19/2018 9:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15517 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What will happen?

We already know.

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
moxking, you got me on that one. I'm interested to know what happened in 1954.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7376 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1954 was when they made the last of the commemorative half-dollars that started with 1892, and they didn't start up again for nearly 3 decades.

But yeah, the prices amaze me. I remember that a graded ms-69 (or was it pf-69?) baseball coin had a sticker price of $225 at my local shop immediately after being sold out. Two years later, I saw one in its packaging for $50, looked around for it again and waited until I saw a BIN for $40 on eBay. Someone wants $73 for a pf-70 right now. Even the neat commemoratives have prices that dissipate quickly.

The same holds true for most modern, 'artisan' world coins of course. A lot of those will sell for 50% less a year after release.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EconBrony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking money will be more well spent on classic coins then on the current coins from the mint
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10454 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real problem with the commens is so many people just lost interest over the last couple years. Thereís been so many topics that no one really cares about (not the mints fault) but more importantly just so many poor designs (absolutely their fault) that people that were doing sets started passing on some and next thing you know they just donít care anymore. During the process sales plummeted which destroyed the key dates since every new one they make has basically been turning into the new key nd needless to say a lot of people that were building sets either stopped or sold their sets.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking money will be more well spent on classic coins then on the current coins from the mint

For the price of 5 or 6 of those new commems I could get some nice Walking Liberty halves or even a complete set of Franklins.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did buy the 4 coin Liberty set last year, but I normally shy away from Medals, as they are not coins.
I don't think I want to get hooked on buying 45 president medals. Once you start, you are kinda hooked on getting the rest.
Since the Presidential dollars ended, I think they would have been smarter to make these $5 silver coins or something similar,
That would make them more attractive to purchase them. Maybe they couldn't as they probably need special congressional approval to do that.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16666 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too got that catalog. I don't like any mail that indicates what I may have at home. I also no longer buy any Proof or commemorative coins since their value only goes down.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5247 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some sets I try to continue with newly minted examples. I like the proof commemorative silver dollars as each design is different and make an album worthy of examining to view these individual designs. Silver Eagles are also a continuing set alto the the array of mint marks, proof, bullion and reverse proof just eat up my budget to maintain a complete set. Lastly I long ago decided to not collect the clad coinage and focused on mainly silver so the silver proof sets fill that niche with an example of the ever changing quarters. Now another variation with a silver reverse proof set.

I must say after the debacle of trying to obtain the 2017 s silver Eagle from the mint last year soured my taste and I have yet to purchase any of the coins listed above for 2018.
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will probably get the reverse proof set and I have to admit the presidential medals appeal to me since I really like the ones in my C&C sets.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the catalog as well. It went straight into recycling.

But, I do buy directly from the Mint for some items. I just don't need a catalog from them to do it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15517 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fair number of the modern commemorative are of interest to me. I haven't started to collect them yet, but I will after my four date sets and my type sets are complete.

ASE are starting to burn me out. Too many weird things, some over $500 - 2015 (P) - as one example. The whole "minted at" with no mint mark stuff is making me ill. The only way to get those is by buying a monster box, or overpaying for just one.

All in all I see very few mint products (that I can buy) holding their value. I'd rather have a beautiful classic for the same price range.
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But, I do buy directly from the Mint for some items. I just don't need a catalog from them to do it.
Yes, I prefer the e-mails for announcements and using the website for purchases.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate paper catalogs that come in the mail, especially those that are scream "COINS!" on the cover. Even some eBay sellers send them, which results in no further purchases from me (and they don't listen to requests to take me off the lists).

That said, the Mint's catalog does look good and it's nice to see the products in a medium other than on-screen (or in-hand). It's just a waste of paper to me -- I get plenty of news and information online.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05