Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$5 and $10 Draped Bust gold coins

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello -

Total noob to this forum and to anything coin related. We inherited 2 rare coins from my FIL and we are stumped at to figuring out the value of these coins. We found (we think?) what PCGS says they are worth, but then we see what individuals are asking for them and we are lost. Im sure yall can help direct us and give us advice in selling them. Thanks in advance #128512;

This is what we have (just got them back from PCGS)

1799 $10 Draped Bust gold coin AU 55
1798 $5 Draped Bust gold coin XF 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
1520 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry about your FIL's passing.

Those are great coins. I'll let the experts make suggestions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Those are two spectacular coins. Pictures would definitely help.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wayyyyyy out of my price range....

ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would recommend checking some of the larger auction sites. and see what similar ones have sold for.. start with Heritage Auctions..
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I did this correctly

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, crud! I double posted one. I will try again with the reverse of the $10
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crossing fingers...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to sell, call Heritage Auctions and talk to them about what it is going to cost you to sell the coins at auction. If you do Heritage, make sure the auction is tied in with a major coin show. On big ticket items Heritage will negotiate selling fees.

Call Ian at Great Collections about selling them at auction. Their selling fees are less, but they do not have the same exposure that Heritage can offer. I have noticed recently that some big ticket items have been selling at Great Collections.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice. Spectacular coins. Keep us advised!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are spectacular coins. Look no further than completed auctions on eBay, it's always a good gauge on pricing. In retrospect, I'd go to Heritage.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr..._sacat=39470
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Edited by thecoinguy1964
06/24/2018 12:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact Heritage, most definitely.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so dumb question - does Heritage just auction them through eBay? And I would assume the reason to auction them through them rather than conduct my own eBay auction would be exposure?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage has NOTHING to do with eBay, other than sell lower end merchandise as does every other seller.

Heritage specializes in their own auctions of all collectible fields, including coins.

They are the best possible place to send high end coins. They are happy to talk to you directly. I'd contact them tomorrow.

They may not even charge you a sellers fee for that type of high end material.

If they ask for more than 15%, then check Great Collections next. They charge no sellers fees for coins selling over $1000, which yours certainly would.

Great collections sells high end coins too, just not as spectacular as Heritage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not sell the coins on eBay as there can be a number of issues.

First, if you are a new eBay seller, you will not get what the coins are worth. Buyers do not want to take the large dollar risk with a new seller.

Second, your buyer could be scam artist.

Third, eBay is not a typical outlet for high end coins.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brontobrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank yall so much. This is exactly the info I need.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05