Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 SMS "Special Mint Set" Or Proof Set?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16333 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So if you have 1964 penny that has those identical marks it's SMS Strike

Not necessarily. There has been one person who came up with a cent that was an obvious business strike that was from the same reverse die as the SMS cent. So the dies may have been used for regular coinage after the SMS coins were made.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43265 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were less than 100 sets made of these. But the dies were continued to be used later. (they were retired after that special run. (Finding these in the wild would probably impossible as the sets were issued to just a few and they knew if was a special run. So I highly doubt anyone would have broken up these sets and spent them)
Probably the easiest marker on the cents is the lathe line on the steps on the reverse:

These sets look different from Proofs/business strikes and accented hair examples:

CoopHome : SMS 1964 coins ID
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny Thoughts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand about chance that it would be but one thing that be at play is I have a place by my house that buys silver gold and I received from gas station across street from there being that rest of coins would have been silver I wonder one might ended up in somebody hands who ended up getting rid for silver so they broke set up and paid at gas station I happened to get as change I know it's crazy theory but the coin I have the marks and spots on there that match identically as well as color and overall look.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny Thoughts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking closer the lathe are definitely much harder to see and I don't have a very good magnifying glass but I do think I see something but being my coin it might a wishful eye. Also looking closer at coin this coin has a lot of small signs of wear. A lot of Small Knicks and scratches with magnifying glass but also has the spots and the black lines smudges that are known to be there. Let me say also the Devices in "GOD" are not crisp but are squarish. The N in IN looks to be a DD or extends higher Then rest of letters. And the E in WE had something with top vertical line. Coin still looks like a mint coin without the normal reflective ness
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43265 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the lathe lines issues can seen on other coins as well:

The issue with these is that the die blanks were finished before the ends were used, not finish polished on the edge of the blank. (removing these pesky lines)

CoopHome : Lathe lines bar stock polished
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
02/29/2020 5:32 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny Thoughts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see those Lathe lines by Lincoln's face Easily And other places where there no devices with the magnifying glass I have now and I see lines in steps but I'm not able to tell as well because of steps it just not as distinguishable I will try and see if I can get better view with some better light later
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43265 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an enlarged image of the lathe lines in the 1964 SMS:
Richard S. Cooper

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Penny Thoughts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without doubt I see those lathe lines in between pillars of Lincoln memorial but the steps I'm a little unsure of I starting more confident as I look closer to being sms
Pillar of the Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hate to say it Pennythoughts but the steps on your coin are a clear indication this is not an SMS coin. They are not clear and complete and the bottom ones towards the center are not well defined at all. This is an indication of Die Deterioration from producing a lot of coins.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05