Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts requested on 1794 Large Cent verdigris - or is it bronze disease?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14027 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive oil will work, but it will take a very long time (think months or even years) of soaking. It works for the very reason Just Carl doesn't like it. Olive oil is very mildly acidic. Over a very long time the acids in the oil break down the verdigris. BUT it will also slowly attack the metal of the coin. The Verdi-Care is formulated to go after the verdigris more rapidly without attacking the metal.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4001 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KK, you stated,

Quote:
If you do nothing it will get worse over many years. If you want to use this Verdi-Care, then use it. Just do something. I don't make any money off of suggesting to use olive oil. Verdi-Care?

Verdi-Care is a product from a well known and respected member here at CCF.
The product has been used by many members with successful results.
As Conder said,
Quote:
The Verdi-Care is formulated to go after the verdigris more rapidly without attacking the metal.

RubyOpal, please show us you results.
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
RubyOpal, please show us your results.

Iím not sure Iíll have results to show quite yet - I am leaning toward moxkingís point of view:

Quote:
Although the obverse certainly isn't bad, that reverse active corrosion would scare me away.

What scares me is the idea of one bad coin slowly and quietly infecting the rest of the coins in my Large Cent album. It seems terribly risky at any price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7061 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ruby does the shop have an on line site ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ruby does the shop have an on line site ?

He has an eBay store, but the coin isnít up on it yet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Conder on this 100%. Olive oil is useful in certain circumstances but far too passive here. Verdi-Care will do the job quickly but leave you with the same gnawing issue: do I want to spend good money on a problem coin?
Edited by Coinfrog
07/04/2018 8:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer sent the coin off to a friend who is knowledgeable about verdigris in coins. In the meantime, Iím looking at other 1794 coins on eBay and Heritage, and they all look pretty corroded. Thereís even one as green and pitted as the one I posted, in a PCGS slab.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14027 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to collect early large cents you either pretty much have to accept that you will be buying problem coins, or that you will be paying through the nose for problem free ones. Probably 98% of all early large cents are problem coins.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
New Zealand
139 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you are going to collect early large cents you either pretty much have to accept that you will be buying problem coins, or that you will be paying through the nose for problem free ones.

Hallelujah!
EAC #6558
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a pretty nice coin for being over 220 years old but definitely needs some treatment. I would soak it in Acetone for a day and them examine the results. As mentioned previously the stubborn verdigris will need to be gently coaxed out using a toothpick. I've used Verdi-Care and it does help with the removal. At the end of the day this is still a very nice coin and should be conserved.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05