Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Longest You Have Seen A Coin Sit In A Coin Dealer's Inventory

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3586 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In a coin shop I frequent there are a number of coins that have been there in the showcase for 5 years +. Most of them are early raw type coins that have problems but are priced as if those issues didn't exist or wouldn't impact a straight grade. In particular several large cents, and few capped bust & Seated coins all with some blemish such as harsh clearing or corrosion.

What are your stories of stale merchandise in the numismatic world. What is the longest you have seen a coin sit in a coin dealer's inventory? Please add your thoughts and stories.
Edited by Joe2007
07/08/2018 7:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2545 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't been frequenting the same dealers for that long, but I've seen many coins stay unsold for close to 2 years. (Maybe longer; I hadn't really been keeping track.) Yes, that includes US Classic - some of those coins were Mercury dimes.

Why did that guy think someone would buy his common-date Mercury dimes for $20+ each is beyond me. Maybe it was oriented on random people with more money than sense stumbling on his shop?

...I should probably go there again and check if those dimes are still in that tray. Wouldn't surprise me if they still are, some seven years later - though of course they may easily have since been sold, given that their price only comes out to around $9 today.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2 I want have been at my LCS over 2 years. You'll all know when I get one. :)
With all these Barbers around, you'd think I'd have shorter hair.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7011 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! The only LCS around here has opened a mattress barn in the building next door to him. Plus now HALF his coin shop is now jewelry.

I think most of his profits from coins are from buying not selling
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
27pcs, of 28, so far

Edited by Mark1959
07/08/2018 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7414 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a coin sit for 2 years at a LCS (not really a coin dealer, mostly jewelry and jewelry repair with a few coins). This dealer has retired now and closed his store, but used to have some interesting stuff. As I usually visited stores that are actual coin shops, I only visited this store infrequently. The coin that sat for 2 years was a 1890 Morgan dollar that graded around VG. Price was $60.

This particular store had some great deals, as the owner didn't know much about coins. For example, 1882-CC and 1884-CC Morgan dollars about AU-55 for sale at $35 or $40.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
654 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old friends.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17192 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I just go to coin shows and there it is impossible to see a coin in the same place for long time.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen some toned coins on the markets for years due to the premium assigned to them. The really colorful coins are treated more like artwork and are kept on the market until a buyer who falls in loves with the coin purchases it based on aesthetics rather than book value.

Less people nowadays are willing to take a risk on raw coins. I agree with you that most dealers unethically sell problem coins out of slabs as "problem free" ; which hurts the market and buyer confidence when honest sellers sell raw coins. I have a bunch of coins from my old typeset that are on the way to NGC for grading since people dont seem to want to buy them raw. I like to buy and sell raw coins occasionally since I prefer my coins in albums, but I do buy slabbed coins for the quality reassurance and crack out myself. The main buying and selling point is that the costs are lower and if you have a good eye, the grade a TPG might give could be higher than a dealer's estimate if you chose to submit in the future. Some raw coins stay around the market a long time until slabbed though..
Edited by Steelers72
07/10/2018 09:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen mispriced coins in people's inventory for years. There is a dealer comes to MSNS every year and wants a 50% - $200% premium for his Franklin Proof sets because some of the coins are frosted. He even has Frosted written across the envelopes and no one buys them. He doesn't seem to get that these sets trade around bid regardless. He is also the guy that has two big bags of Feuctwanger cents that don't sell and he keeps buying more of them.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5290 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some dealers I suspect like to sit on coins as a conversation piece more than a genuine piece of stock. My LCS has an egregiously overpriced Charlotte mint (we live in metro Charlotte) gold dollar. I couldn't get a good look at it, but I guarantee he will never move that coin at his $3,000 asking price for a raw, lightly circulated coin.

Similarly, at my first cashiering job in college, I used to get a lot of shifts in the liquor store. We had some higher end stuff, but there was a single bottle of $2,199 cognac that had been sitting there since the store opened. People would come in to gawk, then end up buying a bottle or two.

Same principle - it was a good investment that drove traffic and thus sales.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05