Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please help me with a 1890 CC Morgan - fake or real?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Austria
3 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bort0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I am new here because I am about to buy a 1890 CC Morgan dollar in pretty good condition. But I'm not quite sure if that's a real one or just a counterfeit coin.
Here are the pics that I've got from the seller.

Your help is very appreciated.

Real or fake?
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit. Rim is poorly done, the eagle's left wing merges with the field, surfaces and colors look off, rim on reverse from 9 to 12 o'clock is weak while other details are bold. I also see what looks like casting evidence in the hair, but would need to be seen closer to confirm. Everything about this coin screams counterfeit, so I'd stay away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8806 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake, rim and denticles wrong for starters. Color is off,looks worked over for wear. You're looking at a $200-500 USD coin, if it's less than $100 USD it is the "too good to be true" axiom, meaning it isn't true! Run for the next exit, quickly!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4015 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll threepete that. (new word)
The date is in wrong location and wrong style.
Counterfeit!

Almost forgot
To the CCF
Edited by JimmyD
07/09/2018 1:34 pm
Austria
3 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bort0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks alot guys for the quick and detailed informations. Now that you pointed out the rim I can clearly see it myself. And the eagles wing...
I've already been a little suspicious because of the weak part of the rim, while the other parts are not that "worn". Also the "color" looks a little too good for me, so that brought me to you guys here in the first place.

The coin is indeed very cheap, the price would be only about 35,- Euros. I had also no idea that it would be 200 to 500!! dollars...

Thank you all for saving me from a counterfeit!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1339 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake at the first site. Along with reasons above, the patina has that fake look
"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26671 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
57952 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll threepete that. (new word)

Then I will sixpete.

And now since you were wise enough to ask, you will likely be able to tell the next fake you find also
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1653 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if this is an eBay coin, please post the auction umber so we can dispose of it..
Austria
3 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bort0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not, it is a local flea market site in Austria. I've already told the seller that it's a fake coin, so he could point it out in the description, but got no answer so far. So maybe he did know himself...
If I get no answer from him today, I will report it to the site admins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14429 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I think I have a suspect coin, especially for a U.S. silver Dollar, I check for weight, and compare ping tone against a genuine coin.

You may wish to do that for yourself, but I agree with the rest of us, in that all of those comments above that support the opinion of 'fake'.

I think poor quality pressure cast.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05