Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picked up this nice Bottle Cap

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  1:57 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just bought this from a trusted eBay dealer, paid more than I should have but the patina and detail caught my eye. This will replace one that I already have.

Seleukos IV Philopator (Father loving)
187-175 BC
King of the Seleucid Empire
Obverse: Bust of Apollo facing right, monogram behind head.
Reverse: Apollo standing left holding an arrow and leaning on a tripod. Monogram and legend in Greek:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ
22.3mm x 11.29g
SB-6968

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5114 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Ron! These can be pricy in high grades.

How big is this one? I have a few low grade ones, all in the 10-15mm range.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
3692 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pickup there, Ron. I can see why you felt you had to get it. Nice addition to your Greek AE's..
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was In a hurry this morning had to go out . I will up date the information when I get back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5440 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking coin. Seeing as I know next to nothing about ancients, I was not aware of this bottle cap type. I like it!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Seleucids are noted for this type of serrated edge. You will also see serrated edges on some Roman Republic Denarius
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8213 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super additon Ron! The remaining detail on the rev is pretty awesome.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5114 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Seleucid serrated coin has always been fascinating to me. We have no idea how they made them (e.g. did they invent a collar for their coins? Did they prepare the flans in this way prior to striking?) And more importantly we have no idea why it was implemented on their lowest denominations that probably nobody would ever want to copy!

The Republican serrati are a bit less of a mystery - it was only done on denarii, was done specifically to deter counterfeiters, and was made by nicking the flan to create splits when the metal was smashed between dies.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6398 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin - I as well am only a casual viewer of this sub-forum with truly limited knowledge ... that said

I can indeed appreciate the pleasure of our experienced CCF folks celebrating what appears to be a nice find by a dedicated collector - well done indeed all around.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23739 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. I used to collect bottle caps as a kid,but they were from beer bottles
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the comments.

Here is my other one, no so nice also has a different monogram.

Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add museumguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin Ron! Congratulations. I actually had my eye on this one as well. Glad it is going to a good home.

Steve S.
Learn More...
United States
21631 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
846 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree, really nice looking coin Ron!
With the sand patina helping the detail "zing" out even more..
Good find!
You've been picking up some nice little coins lately..Congrats Paul
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05