Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peculiar toning / Gold tint on coin Obverse from silver proof sets

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  09:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canadacollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Over the past few years, I've come across many proof sets that have the coin obverses tinted/toned gold, with the reverse intact. Out of personal curiosity, I've done some experiments using silver cleaning dips with absolutely no effect. I've never seen this type of toning on proof sets dating before the 2000's, but have on 2017, 2012, 2014, 2005, etc. Recently seeing this on a 2017 silver set makes me really doubt the toning theory. Has anybody else noticed this and any other explanations on why only the obverse tones (if it is toning)?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
678 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry that I can't help but I just wanted to comment on how even the toning is across all the coins. it is also weird that it is on just the one side. it makes you think it was deliberately done this way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4120 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must have something to a reaction to light source
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. It looks so perfect, almost seems deliberate.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
706 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird for sure. Maybe SPP has seen some of this and could it be attributed to metal mixure %.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2062 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many times, the packaging that the RCM puts in its proof sets has a reaction to the coin. I think that is why it's only one one side. What was the coin physically sitting on in the package? As a side note ALWAYS crimp your staples over when using 2X2's .. it's the easiest way to change a proof/UNC coin into a "details" coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1482 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a few sets in a Canada post display cabinet that had similar toning that was also uniform across the coin. This was on several sets in the display. I asked to look at a couple of the coins and found only one side was toned. The coins were dated 2017. I believe it to be toned due to environmental factors, but could not identify what those factors were. The Canada post location was in a small convenience store, while most others I've visited were in shoppers drug mart stores. I noticed the lighting to be different than the shoppers drug mart stores I've been to, but in both cases, the coin display cabinets were at the back of the store, out of direct sunlight.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadacollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting theory makes the most sense to me so far. Interesting that the silver cleaning solution has absolutely no impact, maybe leading to a deeper chemical change in the silver itself.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1482 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suspect some silver polish and rubbing would remove it but would damage the coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.

You seem to have the sides of coins mixed up. The "heads" side is the obverse, the "tails" side is the reverse. Your coins are toned on the reverse side. I have seen it too.
This makes the light theory stand right up and say "it was me". This is the side exposed to light almost all of the time due to the leather sleeve they come in. I don't think it is from the plastic case itself, or both sides would show the same condition. But, what about a reaction with the light in the plastic itself, only effecting the side exposed?
You say you have seen it on a 2017 set, this means it doesn't take very long in the right conditions. You also say you dipped them. . So are you good for an experiment maybe? . Can you put the 2017 set back into the same conditions, only flip the inner case to expose the obverse side to the same lighting? Just wondering what would happen to the fresh side. I think you may get the golden toning on this side too. It's not unattractive, but it just doesn't seem natural, yet. It will probably grow on me.
It would be to figure out whats going on here.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5725 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadacollect to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input so far.Okicoiner can you give me an example of the proper stapling method?

Loonielewy...thanks for clarification on the obverse/reverse. Since the tails side is always frontward in the cases, I assumed it was the obverse. As for the experimenting, I would try it on the 2017 10c and 5c since there not worth much.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
678 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would invest $10 and get a stapler that staples flat to begin with.i got mine at staples.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
871 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen it on late 90's early 2000's sets, I used to break those sets apart and sell as individuals, I don't think I have any more examples of them left (breakup price and acquisition cost became too close), but it is definitely not a a relatively recent issue. Not sure on cause and I remember it being frequent on only one side of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2062 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can just use a small set of pliers (preferably flat-nosed, non-grooved) and just crimp them down flat.
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can just use a small set of pliers (preferably flat-nosed, non-grooved) and just crimp them down flat.
This is what I do and works just fine for me with the smaller volume of holders I am doing.

That being said, If I did a lot more holders I might feel the need to invest in a better stapler.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05