Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 dollar bill with state overlay got from the bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CollectorSC18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
here is an example of the 2 dollar bill I revived from the bank. I know where it came from and originally sold for. Just wanted to get your opinions of these. There not illegal already confirmed.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30239 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally dislike this sort of thing, but apparently there's a market for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% agree with Mr.Frog.
Learn More...
United States
63445 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really for me either, but I can appreciate the artistic license. It is only two dollars, so I might keep it for fun. Thank you for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollectorSC18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bank teller sold me 40 of them for face value took me a sec to find where they came from I see them on eBay for 12-8 dollars trying to decide to sell or just take back
Learn More...
United States
63445 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can sell them and price will more than cover time, shipping, and fees, then do that.

Otherwise, I would just spend them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1455 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like it at all, and this should be illegal.

If I had 40 of them, then sell them. Buy what you really want~~
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure why you think it should be illegal

It doesn't harm the ability for the bill to do it's job in any way, I'd consider it on the same level as someone drawing a beard on George Washington
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1455 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think it should be illegal

Maybe I'm particular, but I think coins and bills should be left alone after leaving the Mint. I don't like bills with writings or in this case, painted over.

But that's just me... maybe I'm becoming an old coot.

http://web.mst.edu/~adekock/Cootness-Test.html
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Learn More...
United States
63445 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coconutjoe, getting old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coincollector110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an active user of the Where's George site, I get into this kind of debate all the time. According to Title 18, Section 333 of the US code, writing on money is not illegal unless the bill is rendered unfit to be reissued. The only way writing on money would be illegal would be in a situation where the writer altered the numbers to make the bill appear as a different denomination, or the person deliberately ripped pieces off the bill.

I'm probably going to catch a lot of heat from paper money collectors for saying this, but I stamp nearly every bill that enters my possession unless I'm taking the bill to a bank. If it's an old series or low run star note, I'll try to sell it on the WG forum, and the buyer can either collect the bill or enter it. At this point though, with thousands of bills entered, I don't even think twice anymore about stamping ordinary star notes since they'll never be worth anything over face in circulated condition.
Oldest coins from circulation:
Cent: 1918 Nickel: 1934
Dime: 1946 Quarter: 1952
Half Dollar: 1964 Dollar: 1969B
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did anybody find George yet?

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. He's pretty wiley.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05